Chapter 33

Time seemed to slow and my heart seemed to beat rapidly.  I didn’t know whether I was scared, worried or panicked.  In that moment I think I was all three. Twenty minutes after her water broke, her contractions started and from reading up on pregnancy books, I knew that she was in labor.  My hands tightened around hers as I helped her into the hospital.  Everyone was glaring at me in shock, disbelief and amazement.

“Can someone fucking help me?  She’s in labor and my grandmother had a heart attack!” I snap and two nurses jump into action, assisting me with Jennifer.  They helped her into a wheelchair and rushed her off down the hall to a room.  I stood outside the door with my mother as my grandmother was whisked off to the emergency room.

Running my hand down my face, I sigh in frustration. “I should get in there.  I’m just really scared and I had to talk to you, I needed you to tell me I can do this.  The baby came too early, what if –“

“Honey, just get in there and support her,” my mother says and smiles at me.  “She’s having a baby and she needs you in there to hold her hand.”

I nod and bend down to press a soft kiss to her cheek. “Thanks mum.” I smile at her and turn away to walk into the room where Jennifer had been taken to.  There was a physician in the room and he was checking the baby’s heart rate and movement.

“Jenny,” I whisper and move towards the bed to stand by her side.  She doesn’t respond, but turns her head to look at me. I give her a weak smile and take her small, warm hand in mine. “It’s going to be okay.  The baby will be fine.”

She nodded and closed her eyes, laying back against the pillow.  “Okay, the baby has a strong heart beat Mrs. And Mr. –“he stopped what he was saying once his eyes laid on me.  “Prince, your highness.  You’re alive?”

Ignoring his question I look to him and take a deep breath.  “The baby is fine?”

“Yes, yes she is sir.  I can’t believe my eyes. How?”

Sighing heavily, I glare at him in frustration.  It was so many things happening and right now acquiring about my sudden resurrection wasn’t on the top of my list of inquiries.

“Doctor –“I stopped, peaking at his name tag.  He blinked at me confused, before he looked down in the same direction my eyes were looking.

“Oh uhm, sorry your majesty.  It’s Chandler.  Brice Chandler and it’s a pleasure. I thought you were dead –“

“Doctor Chandler, I’m having a baby.  Can you please shut the fuck up?” Jennifer snapped, receiving several looks of shock from the nurses within the room. The doctor and I were both surprised by her sudden outburst, but despite the serious mood, I felt tickled by her potty mouth. I chuckled and shook my head, receiving a very dirty look from her that resulting in me quieting down.

“Okay, well we don’t have any files on Mrs. Turner, but from what I have seen you have high blood pressure –“

“She has preeclampsia and the baby isn’t due for several more weeks,” I offer him. 

“Due to the fact that she is a high risked pregnancy and she is early we have to keep an extra eye out for her, to see if the baby movements has stopped or her heart rate has gone up or if Jennifer’s temperature goes up, we can be looking at an infection or worse.  You should handle this like a natural birth and we’ll monitor the baby and Jennifer. I see no need for a Cesarean section.  Try to get some rest and your vital signs seem fine aside from the blood pressure, but that’s nothing relaxation cannot fix.”

With a smile, the doctor walked out of the room.  The nurses soon followed and left Jennifer and I alone in the room.  She sighed turning towards me.