Chapter 9

So, Jennifer," Peter, the chief of staff said tilting forward in his chair.  Out of everyone that worked for Connor, I felt somewhat closer to him.  He was older, handsome gentleman with a wife and two kids.  His older son was Langston and he was born some nineteen years ago.  Langston was to some extent a trouble maker and couldn't keep it in his pants.  

I didn't judge him.  Sex was an addicting thing and it sometimes casted spells on people.  I met Langston, a couple of times, and he was a good kid, he just didn't have a sense of direction.  I could relate completely. His daughter Julie was the angel and an angel she was.  She stayed home, in her books and never really ventured out.  Her life was bland and boring, but I would rather she lived a bland and boring life than seeking comfort with guys and becoming pregnant and foolish.  

"Yeah, Pete?" 

"Are you and Connor having an affair?"

I stilled, dropping my pen and looking up at him surprised.  "Why would you say that?"

"Look, I know Jennifer.  He calls you Jenny, the smoldering stares and the awkward moments with Caitlyn.  I know love when I see it.  Besides I bought that bracelet for him.” 

I look down at the bracelet on my arm, and with a sigh I let my head drop in my hands.  He was going to judge me, I knew it.  He was going to tell me this was wrong.  He was going to tell me everything that I already know.

“Pete…” I trailed off due to a lack of words, what was there to say?  Yet another person knew.   

“No need, Jennifer.  Like I said …he loves you and…I won’t say anything, but you can’t keep this up.  He’s getting married.” 

I lift my head up, giving him a wary look.  I knew that.  I knew he was getting married.  I didn’t care for the fact, but I knew. 

“Pete, you don’t have to tell me, but every time I try it becomes harder and harder.  It’s like he has some kind of hold on me and I can’t let him go.  I have to kiss him and touch him and be with him.  I’ve walked away before, but it’s like a drug.”

Peter opened his mouth to say something, but the door to his office opened and Connor appeared in the doorway.  He looked between us, with a smile.  

“Good morning, Pete and Good morning Mrs. Turner,” he greeted, walking into the room.  His eyes remained on me the entire time, causing me to squirm around in my seat.

Connor closed the door and took a seat next to me, making sure that his hand brushed mine.  I swallowed down my anxiety and glanced away from him to Peter watching us intently. 

“Cut the crap, Connor I know,” Peter announced.  Connor looked up surprised, his eyes moving from me to Peter.

“Know what?”  Peter quirked a brow and narrowed his eyes staring at Connor.  He waited until finally Connor sighed.  “Okay, you know. “

“And I don’t have to tell you how wrong it is leading Caitlyn on.”

“Caitlyn knows, too.”

Peter frowned, slowly assimilating the new information.  He didn’t speak, he simply gazed in between Connor and I like he was thinking.  Finally he looked up at Connor incredulously.  “And she is fine with your affair?”

“Of course not, but I can’t leave her just yet.”

“Connor, sir, leave her?  If she knows about this affair she will tell the public.  Your father will not see it fit that you take the crown. He'll disown you. Banish you.”

Connor stood, surprised about what Pete said. “What?  I’m second in line to take the thrown, he can’t do that.”

“Yes, but that’s because he decided to pass that crown down to you, but he could so easily take it away.”