Chapter 27

Connor’s POV 

“Mom,” I spoke into the telephone while I ran my hand through my hair in frustration. What the fuck was going on? I felt as though god was telling me I could never be happy.  Every time something happy in my life occurred, something terrible comes along to steal that happiness away from me.   I was having a baby and I was happily engaged and then this shit happens. “Whenever you receive this message can you please give me a ring?”

 That was the third time today that I had gotten her voicemail and I was beginning to become worried, not only for her safety but the safety of Jennifer as well.  Pressing end on my cellular phone, I slide it into my pocket and whipped my head around to see Jennifer sitting on the couch. 

She looked absolutely mesmerizing with her feet propped up on the coffee table and her hands rubbing her belly in adoration.  I had never seen such a compelling image.  My baby.  My babies.

I took a deep, calming breath trying not to seem frustrated or irritated. Closing my eyes briefly I shook off all the bad feelings and anger that was building up inside of me and walked into the living and took a seat next to her

I ask curiously. 

She looked up at me and smiled, continuing to rub her belly gently. “I’m singing to the baby,” she states softly, her eyes falling to her more than visible baby bump. “I heard that if you talk to the baby and sing to the baby they can hear it.”

 My brows pulled together inquisitively. “I had heard that as well, but I never really thought about it.”

 “Well, I thought that our baby wouldn’t mind my voice.”

 “I would like to hear you sing.”

 Her eyes dart to mine and she gives me a grin.  Without replying to me she turned back to her belly and cleared her voice before she began her own little rendition of A whole new world from Aladdin.  I smiled watching her as she sang, hitting the various notes perfectly and allowing me to fall in love with her even more.

 Her beautiful brown skin held a glow to it and her dark brown eyes glimmered with love and happiness.  She made the worst situations better and that was another thing I loved about her.  Although we were currently on the run from whoever was after us she seemed to make life seem fulfilling and made me want to enjoy it.

 Once she was done singing she gasped softly, placing her hand on the side of her belly.  “Oo,” she grunted, furrowing her brows as she opened her mouth in shock.

 “What happened?” I lean forward concern in my voice as I peered at her.  “Does anything hurt?”

 She shook her head, her lips curving into a smile of excitement and joy.  “I just felt the baby kick.”

 Opening my mouth equally shocked.  Before I could say anything she grabbed my hand and pressed it to her belly and watched me. I waited for a second with wonder and curiosity. “I don’t –“I had barely begun the sentence when I felt a thump against my hands.

 I pull my hands away and look up at her in awe.  “That was our baby?” When she nods a small chuckle of joy escapes me.  I pull her into my arms and give her a long kiss. “That was amazing.”

 Unfortunately, our moment was taken away when someone audibly cleared their throat.  We pulled away from one another and glanced towards the doorway.  Charlie was standing there with a cellphone in his hand. 

 “Your mum is on the line,” he says, walking farther into the room and handing me the phone.

 I placed the phone to my ear and stood abruptly. “Mum,” I say. “What’s going on?”