{ P r o l o g u e }

*********

Edited: 8/1/2014

*********

Mother used to always tell me that one's life can change in a blink of their eye.

The thing is, I never fully believed her as my life had always remained void of huge changes of any sort. That is, until one beautiful snowy day, when my whole life was changed forever. That one day brought about a change so great that it ended up bringing a million more changes in my life, but like all other changes, these changes have impacted my life and is the sole reason of why I am the way that I am today. Looking back at it now, I still remember that one day and the myriads of events that happened afterwards so vividly that you would assume it happened just yesterday.....

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> 

Looking around me, I saw sparkling snowflakes dancing around in the cold air like ballerinas. The beauty became so overwhelming that I heard a gasp of awe escape me. I had just finished my last exam of the year and was finally outside with my two friends - Kayla and Shay. Moments ago, we had walked out of our examination classroom and were now on our way to our lockers. Once there, we came to a quick realization that winter coats were difficult to find on the undersized metal school coat rack. Soon we managed to get our coats from the huge pile of winter coats and put them on.

Stepping outside, I felt a sense of relief as snow fell all around me. Whoever thought of forcing students to stay inside a school for ninety minutes without any talking breaks was mental. Yes, I hated exams with a passion, but I mean, who liked them anyway?

I just hope that for your sake you didn't say 'I like exams', otherwise you are in great danger from me.

"Can you guys taste the freedom in the air? We're finally free to do whatever we want forever. Okay, maybe for only a month, but still!" I exclaimed, feeling as if a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders. I bent down and randomly drew a smiley face in the white snow; I was happy to finally be free from the tedious first semester of school and looked forward to the month of freedom before me. A month to do anything I wanted to do!

Kayla, being the quiet 'thinker' in our group, simply curved her lips into a huge contagious smile and nodded. Not being able to help myself, I mimicked her smile with my own.

Shay, the most upbeat person, gave a loud squeal of joy before doing a super random "happy dance" that attracted the attention of several people around the school entrance, who took out their phones and started to record her.

Kayla and I quickly grabbed both of her arms and dragged her down to the street, which contained fewer people. Shay tended to do things like this often so we were pretty used to it, but knew that we were doing our job as friends and saving her, again, from embarrassments. It also didn't help that she was, what I would like to call, an attention-seeker.

"So, Mia, what are you going to do once you get home today? I'm going to watch movies all day and finally get to start chillaxing... You know, that word should officially go to a dictionary, don't you agree?" asked Shay, while tying her curly blond hair into a topknot, grinning from ear to ear. She was obviously unaware of the scene she had just caused earlier and I doubt she would ever be aware of all the embarrassing situations she gets herself into.

"Well, I'm going to make a snowman with my mom because it's our tradition every year. Then I'm going to play with Oreo the Cat and bake cookies with my mom while waiting for my dad to come home, so that we can surprise him with cookies since he loves them. Seriously though, he could probably eat cookies all day if he wanted to. Realistically though, who doesn't like cookies? Raise your hand if you don't like cookies, but be warned - I'm arresting any cookie-haters and putting them into jail. You know, the government really should make that a rule." Giving a cheeky smile, I apologized, "Oops; got a little passionate over there... And you, Kayla?"