f i f t e e n

listen to the song on the side? i saw them in concert last night with some of my friends 

plus it's one of the songs i listen to a lot while writing the chapters :3

Harry's mind had been racing about so many things: Louis, Niall and Zayn, wherever the hell his sister was now, his dad, his mother (if anyone had cleaned the stone and laid flowers like Harry always made sure to do at least once a week), he even wondered about Liam. He wondered if his former best friend was going to college near his town, if the lad had forgotten Harry's existence - after all, everyone else seemed to forget about him after the first year he was gone. Harry just wondered; and in the midst of his thoughts he fell asleep only to dream about how things had been and how they could've been.

Niall's hand brushed against Zayn's as the two walked on the sidewalk. Zayn had an unlit cigarette hanging in his mouth while Niall chewed anxiously on his thumb nail. Both boys were rather awkward about this whole "hanging out tonight" thing, and it just didn't seem like they were ever going to budge from being insanely quiet around each other. 

Zayn coughed, trying to rid both of them of the silence. "So, uh, thanks for coming out tonight."

Niall nodded, staring at the skin he had been trying to tear - unsuccessfully at that, actually. He didn't know what to do; he had never been on a date with another guy before. Fuck, is this even a date? Am I just making this weird? Niall blinked rapidly as if to rid himself of the thoughts he'd rather not be having at the moment.

"I'm sorry I dragged you away from Louis earlier today, that was quite rude of me." Zayn finally took out his lighter, letting the flame burn the end of the rolled drug. He held it between his teeth, occasionally taking it out of his mouth with his right hand. 

"It's fine," Niall looked anywhere but at the raven-haired man. It's not like Niall didn't want to be here, because goddamn did that boy want to be there. He just didn't imagine it to be so awkward; and yes, he imagined going on a date with Zayn plenty of times. He imagined the hand-holding, the kisses, the smoky smell he'd have stuck to his clothing from Zayn's smoking habits, and the sex. He definitely imagined the sex, too. But now that he was here, he was drawing a blank.

"Zayn?" Niall looked up to find the older lad staring at him intently already. "Right, is this a - uhm - you know, a date?" 

Zayn's laughter was music to Niall's ears, but tonight it was more of a dreadful melody. Niall felt as if he should have known - Zayn was joking before. 

"Sorry, I just thought -" He was cut off by Zayn coughing into his hand. "Are you alright?"

Zayn waved him off, smiling at the concern Niall had for him, "Perfectly fine. You don't have to worry. I just thought it was obvious that I was asking you on a date tonight. Maybe I should've been more clear; and for that, I'm sorry."

Niall nodded again, liking the way Zayn sounded when he tried to be a bit more sophisticated. Now the younger lad just felt ridiculous. He just kept making assumptions that just made himself look stupid in the end.

"Sorry," Niall said, resuming his attempt to do some damage to his skin.

"Don't apologize, Ni." Niall's heartbeat quickened at the nickname, just like it always did when Zayn said it. "How about we start this over, hm?" 

Niall watched as Zayn quickened his pace to stand in front of him. He stared into the dark colored eyes as the Bradford boy smiled at him, cigarette still between his teeth. "Niall Horan, I don't believe I've directly told you, but I'd very much enjoy it if you went on a date with me this evenin'."

Niall laughed wholeheartedly at Zayn's attempt to actually restart the whole thing halfway through the night, but he went along with it anyway. He had to give Zayn some credit anyway, the older man didn't talk as much as the blond haired boy and they both weren't anywhere near sophisticated. But that's what Niall loved about this; it was new, raw, it was just perfect. "Zayn, I'd love to go on a date with you."

Zayn smiled, going back to his place next to Niall, "Well then, let's go do something fun."

Niall smiled back, suddenly not feeling awkward or nervous at all. They began walking again, chuckling at each other's stupid grins every once in a while; and at one point in the night, Niall felt Zayn's hip bump his. The Irish boy had looked at the English boy, "Hey Niall, I do fancy you quite a bit. Just so you know."

And the Irish boy smiled again, bumping Zayn's hip as well, "I probably fancy you more than you fancy me, Zayn. Just so you know."

"Not possible."

"Yeah it is."

"Nope."

"Yeah, yeah it is."

As the two bantered about who's feelings were stronger, neither of them had noticed the seemingly jealous eyes of Louis Tomlinson from his apartment above them. It also seemed as though they hadn't noticed that they had intertwined their fingers in a way that you might have been able to feel the ardour from just a single glance at the pair.