Chapter 27

A/N: I posted a new one-shot this Monday. It is called A Letter to a Lost Lover and is only one page long. Check it out?

The link to it is in the first comment and you can see the cover in the multimedia section to this chapter of Frost on the Green.

*****

Alice’s POV

“White lavender,” the young woman mused. “Didn’t even know existed. I thought it was all well, the color lavender.”

“Not really. There are several varieties of the plant. Whichever you choose to use, it would be a fine addition to your garden plus you can dry it and use it later.”

“I’ll have to google how to do that; I’ve never dried any plants before,” she mentioned, furrowing her brown eyebrows.

“It’s not difficult,” I commented. “You should begin harvesting the lavender just prior to the flower buds fully opening butavoid mornings when there’s dew on the plants. You can cut the stems, leaving them long and then joining them into a bundle to hang upside down. Just don’t make the bundle too thick or the plants in the middle won’t be able to dry. Place them somewhere with little to no humidity and away from direct sunlight. That’s pretty much it.”

“Okay, you’ve convinces me; I’ll buy some lavender seeds. I think I’ll try the white variety.”

“Great! I’ll just go get some for you…”

“Actually, I’ll attend to the lady, Alice; your visitors have arrived,” Marjolaine said, showing our client to one of the seeds-packed counters in Odell’s Herbs & Spices store.

I turned around and there they were; Skyler, Beth and her older version - Mrs. Miller. They were all smiling at me. I couldn’t help my lips curl up as I went to hug the twins’ mother.

“Hi, Catherine,” I greeted the short blonde woman.

“Hello, sweetheart. You look… happy,” she concluded. “This job really agrees with you, doesn’t it?”

“It’s one of the best things that have happened to me since…”

… The shooting…

“Since we moved here,” I replaced what I originally meant to say but by the flash of concern in her blue eyes I knew she’d guessed what was behind the pause in my words.

“And she seems to be turning into a heck of a saleswoman,” my boss stated, giving me a sideways hug. “That was one happy client,” she added, pointing with her chin to the door from which the young woman had left with her lavender seeds.

“Catherine, this is my employer and owner of Odell’s Herbs & Spices - Miss Marjolaine Odell; Margie, this is Catherine Miller – Beth and Sky’s mom,” I introduced the two.

“I could tell,” the old woman said, extending her wrinkled hand to shake Catherine’s delicate one. “The twins look just like you.”

“Except that they are tall; they got that from their daddy.”

“Your shift is over, Alice, so you can go with your friends now,” Margie smiled.

“Just a second; there’s something I want to suggest to you,” I started enthusiastically.

“Oh, what’s that?” She asked.

“The idea came to me from our last client. When I told her that once the lavender grows, she could dry it to use later, she said she didn’t know how to and she had to google the process. That’s when I realized: we don’t have a site; not even a facebook page. I think we should make one. It will be a way to advertize and we could get more people interested in gardening by offering them tips online. I can register us to facebook; it’s really easy and will take only a couple of minutes. Then we can start working on what content we should upload. There must be a list of what we supply and where and when clients could find us of course, and tips on gardening as I’ve already mentioned, also how to dry herbs or extract essential oils and we must include pictures, because the page will look better that way.”