Chapter 29

Caden’s POV

I’d just dropped Alice off at the train station; I’d wanted to go back home with her but I had too much to do here for the Academy. I couldn’t believe it’s been barely ten minutes since she got on that train and I already wanted her back!

I missed her, but more than that, I was worried for her.

The source of my troubles was easy to guess: Elanor. I really felt bad about Alice having to go back and deal with her mother on her own.

She isn’t alone, I tried to reassure myself. She’s got her aunts there.

True, but I wasn’t there.

She needed me, even though she’d said this way she’d only be worried about her problems with Elanor and wouldn’t have to stress over me looking like I wanted to throw her mother out the window and vice versa.

At least Chess was also there. I knew my little Alice could not wait to see him. To be honest, I missed him too. I’d given him to Alice as a present but now I saw him as our cat and not hers. If they allowed animals in the building we lived in now, we would’ve brought the furry rascal with us.

“One good thing about not going home,” I muttered to myself as I walked towards the apartment. “At least I could postpone meeting Gavin.”

My father was back in my hometown and I had not forgotten my promise to give him another chance. And how could I not remember that?

Alice, Cillian and Logan were always there to remind me.

I stopped by the set-out of a crafts shop, a hand-made necklaces catching my attention. It was simple, made of wire in the shape of a tree and ornamented with beads in different shades of green that served as leaves; one of the hues reminded me of Alice’s eyes. I moved to the shop’s glass door, vaguely noting the reflection of the middle-aged man that leaned on an electric post at the opposite side of the street. My mind was occupied with thoughts of having Alice back and giving her the present I was about to purchase. To my surprise and relief it was not expensive at all. The lady at the counter, who I believe was also the owner, placed the trinket in a light green box with a darker ribbon and I walked out of her store, wishing her a good day.

As I passed by another glass window, I realized the man pushed himself off the post and was walking almost at level with me but still at the other side of the street.

Was he following me?

I didn’t want to turn around in case he got suspicious but I used every opportunity I got to examine his reflection in the windows of the buildings. The problem was that no matter how hard I tried, I could not make out his face so I had no clue who he was or what he could want with me.

I shouldn’t go home now, I told myself. If this guy is really stalking me, then I shouldn’t let him know where I live. I could lose him at the cemetery… No, that’s too far away. I wouldn’t be patient enough to do that; I’d turn around and face him. Or maybe I should do exactly that? Show this creep that he should stay away? No, if I get in a fight with him, I could lose. Or even if I am winning, someone could interrupt us before I get the chance to ask him what the fuck is his reason to follow me. Best chance will be to try to make him lose track of me somewhere crowded; that way I can sneak up near him and maybe I’ll be able to recognize him.

Yes, I had to resolve to that.

I turned left instead of to the direction of the apartment building and headed to the park opposite Alfredo’s. I knew the place well; sometimes after we ordered pizza, we would go eat it in the park. It was Friday early evening and that was not working in my favor: it was too late for stay-at-home moms or babysitters to fill part of the park with the kids they were watching and it was too early for young people to hang out with their friends. That meant there wasn’t a big crowd to get lost amongst.