Chapter 25

A/N: The gif file in the multimedia to this chapter (and in the first comment) shows the covers to my three Green Girl stories and my five other books. Not all of my work shows on my profile (especially when you use the wattpad app) so I included all books in one of my reading list - My Work (Stories and Guidebooks by me). Check it out?

*****

Alice’s POV

“I’ll be going now,” Kee stated, giving me a subtle encouraging nod.

Once again, the boy knew what I’d been thinking. He knew that I was considering taking the easy way out by lying.

Caden glared at Keegan when he passed by him on the way out. My boyfriend stared for a while at the door his friend had just gone through then he came closer to me.

“What happened?” He inquired again. “Why are your eyes red and why was Keegan’s shirt wet? Did he say or do something to upset you?”

Oh, great! Not only did I manage to make him worried about me yet again but he was now angry with Keegan. I could sort the later issue out if I told him the truth but…

Get a grip, Alice; you’ll have to do it sometime!

“Cade, we need to talk.”

“So he did something to you? That son of a…”

“No, it’s not about Kee,” I hurried to appease him. “He doesn’t have anything to do with this… Well, he does but in a good way…”

Caden no longer looked furious; now he was simply confused.

“Kee and I talked and he helped me gain the courage to speak with you.”

“Helped you gain the courage… So you want to speak about something unpleasant?” He gripped my chin to lift my gaze towards his eyes. His touch was so different from Keegan’s. Both boys had been gentle but there was something in the way my boyfriend held my chin that caused a flurry of emotions to take over me. Maybe it was the warmth of his fingers, maybe it was the familiar scent of his skin or maybe it wasn’t his touch at all; maybe it was the way his bluish-grey eyes gazed at me. They displayed such strong affection and concern for me that I could not help but feel overwhelmed.

“Are you going to tell me why you’ve been crying?” He asked quietly and I nodded.

I took a deep breath and tried to calm myself.

I felt faint. My limbs had gone numb, my legs could barely hold me and my hands were sweating. My heart raced and I could not control my breathing.

“Alice, are you…”

I did not get to hear the rest of his question as my legs gave out and I would have tumbled to the kitchen floor if a pair of arm had not caught me just a moment before the collision. Caden raised me up and I attempted to steady myself on my feet. Not managing that, I clung to his shirt as hard as my torpid hands allowed me.

“Alice, what’s wrong? Do you want me to call somebody? Do you need to go to a hospital?” Caden frantically shot one question after another.

“Panic,” I managed to mumble. “Let me lay down.”

A moment later he had lifted me up and carried me bridal style into our bedroom. He put me on the bed and then he disappeared.

I couldn’t believe he’d left me alone at a time like this.