Chapter 33

A/N: Meforever1700, you were the second person to answer correctly to the question in Chapter 31 but since you’ve been supportive of Frost on the Green, I decided you deserved a dedication as well. Thank you for reading, voting and commenting!

Everyone, the last part of this chapter is going to be in Italic because it’s a memory.

*****

Caden’s POV

“Alice, we need to talk,” I announce, making my mind up.

“This is about more than not celebrating me getting back, isn’t it?” She asked and her deep green eyes filled with worry.

Oh, great, just what I wished to avoid the most!

But she had the right to know. I couldn’t keep something as serious as this to myself when it affected both of us.

“Why don’t you take a seat?” I took her hand and led her to the couch. We both set down, angling our bodies to face each other.

“Caden, I’m really beginning to worry,” she admitted quietly.

“And you probably should be.”

I told her all of it.

I told her about how I thought that someone was following me the other day and how when today I saw the thug through our window, I realized it must’ve been him; I told her about Marc and his proposal and about what might happen if I said no; I told her how I had no other choice but to call Gavin.

“And you think your father might be able to help?” She asked, her voice trembling.

I could not see her face; during my narrative, I’d pulled her back towards my chest. I’d wanted her in my arms and hoped that would be enough to ward away another panic attack.

“He has experience with guys like this,” I started to explain, trying to sound confident. Unfortunately, Gavin’s experience was from way back; I was not sure he still had any ‘friends’ who were influential enough to keep Marc away.

“Experience?” She repeated.

“Yes, experience. And connections. They used to be in a gang, you know.”

“Who used to be in a gang?”

“My father and Cillian.”

“What?”

She moved away from me to look at my face. Her eyes were so huge and she was gapping so wide, I just had to chuckle.

“You didn’t know? Well, it was before you moved here; before we were even born.” I pulled her towards me again but this time she leaned sideways and kept her eyes on me. “When Gavin began high school he was rather… rumbustious. He quickly became ‘the bad boy’ of the school and got a lot of people following him wherever he went so he started a gang.”

“He was the leader?”

I nodded and went on:

“And Cillian was his second in command. They already knew each other from before; the two of them and my mom grew up together. Anyway, Gavin was the rebellious and spontaneous one but apparently Cillian managed to restrain him a bit and he attempted to keep father out of too much trouble. Well, you know how our favorite bartender is – always planning ahead and thinking of the consequences. That’s probably why he only got arrested a couple of times as a teen and on minor charges. Gavin on the other hand used to get cuffed for disorderly conduct on regular basis. Their gang was mostly in the car business.”