Chapter 36

A/N: Dedicated to Hello213

Just a quick note: I still hesitate between The Return of the Brothers Grimm, The Drama Class and Hunt Me Down as my next story to be posted on wattpad. That means you still have time to see their summaries in Upcoming Projects and vote for/comment on whichever you like best :)

*****

Caden’s POV

“Hey.”

It was early afternoon and his voice already sounded hoarse and tired. Placing my mobile on the table in our living room, I turned on the speaker so that Alice could also hear the conversation.

“Hey, dad,” I greeted back. “It’s been a while.”

“It’s been about a week, Caden, and I am…”

“Let me guess: working on it?”

Yeah, that had been all I’ve heard of him lately. All I’ve read to be more precise, because this was the first time after our talk about Marc that my father had answered my calls. And trust me there had been many of those. But no, he had not called back. He’d simply texted me some version of ‘Can’t talk now. Working on it. Stop worrying.’

That had been all I’d gotten from him.

Just a few short texts.

I’d been worried sick about me and Alice, about how Marc could lose his patience and come for a visit; I’d been terrified about not knowing what Gavin was getting into on my behalf and what di he do?

He texted me as if they tax him by the word.

That had made me furious. But the feeling was soon replaced by fear once more. I’d carry my phone with me everywhere I’d go, I’d keep checking every half hour or so whether there were any missed calls although I had not heard it ring; I’d even told my friends not to call me unless it was absolutely urgent just because my heart jumped in anticipation each time my phone emitted even the quietest of sounds.

Even Alice seemed to be handling this better than me. To my greatest relief, she had not had any panic attacks. She was a bit on edge, I could see that, but it was nothing compared to her breakdowns. She’d been especially nervous when we were with our friends; we hadn’t told them about Marc so we had to pretend everything was all fine and dandy.

Only now had I realized what it must’ve cost her to act in front of us before and only now did I understand why she’d decided it was the right thing to do.

“Caden?” Gavin’s exhausted voice summoned.

“Sorry, I was thinking,” I replied. “So how is whatever you are doing going?”

“More difficult than I hoped, better than expected,” he was brief just as in his texts.

“Care to elaborate for us?” I encouraged.

“Us?”

“Alice is here; you are on speaker.”

“Hey,” my girlfriend greeted shyly. It was the first time she spoke to my father.

“Hello,” he said with a gentle tone.

“So? Elaborate?” I urged again.

“Maybe when I see you?” Gavin suggested.