Chapter 24

A/N: For those of you who don’t know, the song is called “Touch the Sky” and is from the Disney/PIXAR movie “Brave”.

*****

Skyler’s POV

When the cold wind is a calling
And the sky is clear and bright,
Misty mountains sing and beckon, 
Lead me out into the light.

Our singing was interrupted by yet another groan but Alice and I didn’t stop. On the contrary, we decided we ought to chant louder.
I will ride, I will fly,
Chase the wind and touch the sky,

I will fly, 
Chase the wind and touch the sky.

“This is one of the girlies songs ever,” my roommate complained aloud, realizing just groaning won’t make us shut up.

“No one invited you over to Alice’s apartment,” I noted. “So why are you here anyway?”

“I was done with my homework and thought Caden and I could have a beer,” he explained.

Alice paused as she was singing ‘deep waters hold reflections of times lost long ago’ to say:

“Well, Caden is drawing in the park so you can have us instead; no beer though,” she went on to simply hum the melody.

Keegan got up from the sofa with the intent to leave.

“What? Skyler and I are not enough for you?” Alice teased and turned her back to us to pick up our snacks leftovers from the living room table.

Kee opened his mouth but quickly closed it, his lips pursed tight. I knew he wanted to say something to Alice and maybe it was my presence here that put a stop to his intentions.

What if I left?

Would they talk then?

I’d spent all evening wondering if he still had feelings for my childhood friend. Maybe it was time to leave them alone. Caden probably wouldn’t be back in another hour so if I went away now, Alice and Kee would have a chance to talk. But how was I to leave them without raising suspicion?

I couldn’t just tell them “I’m going back to apartment 202; you two stay here on your own.”

Yeah, that was not going to work.

I had to come up with some excuse and fast before Keegan beat me to going back to our apartment; he was already heading for the door.

“I have to go talk to Beth,” I announced loudly then quietly added to my roommate as I passed him on my way out: “Keep an eye on her.”

Taking advantage of his concern was a cheap shot but the excuse served its purpose: Alice and Keegan were on their own. Now all I could do was wait and see if they would talk and hope that it wouldn’t end in disaster if they did.

*****

Alice’s POV

“You need some help with those?” Keegan offered and without waiting for my reply he grabbed the empty soda cans and headed for the kitchen. I took the plastic bowl – all greasy from our snacks – and followed him. When I approached him, he took the utensil off my hands and started washing it.

“Doesn’t this seem familiar,” I commented, drying the bowl with a towel before putting it in its place in one of the wooden cupboards.

“What does?” The boy asked, leaning sideways on the sink so he could face me.