Chapter 1

Alice’s POV

“This is the last of them,” I announced, putting the ultimate cardboard box down on the floor and looking around my new abode with a smile. It was small but it had all the rooms a person could need: a living room, kitchen, bathroom and a bedroom.

I just can’t believe we are finnaly University students! And we all got accepted with what we wanted, even Asher and Keegan whose grades were worse than those of the twins and I.

Ash got to study exactly what he wanted –History and Kee signed up for Economics. Beth and I were on our way to becoming vets and Skyler was bursting with joy about learning Finances.

That of course meant we had to move to a new town - Aberville. There had been a slight change of plan though. At first, when the Miller twins and I had made plans years ago, we intended to rent two apartaments: one for Beth and I, and one for Skyler.

Well, that was out.

Today I moved into my new rented place with Caden, who had passed the entry exam to the Vermont Arts Academy, also situated in Aberville. Beth, along with Asher, had moved into the apartment next to ours and Sky and Keegan occupied the one that was opposite us. For now, we were the only ones on this floor as it had only five flats - two on each side of a corridor and one at the end, opposite the stairs. But there was still plenty of time for someone to rent them: the building was close to the University of Aberville so it was mostly ocupied by students and the school year didn't start for another couple of weeks. We'd all moved in earlier because of Caden; the Vermont Art Academy curriculum started earlier than ours.

I frowned slightly, thinking about all the new people I’ll have to meet: neighbors, teachers, students…

At least I won’t be the only one new now, I mused, remembering all the times I had had to switch school. It will be a fresh start for so many people and this time I can count on my friends to support me.

“You anxious?” A silky male voice inquired and I felt a pair of muscular tattooed arms sneak from behind me and wrap around my waist.

“Well, we are no longer in high school. University students are supposed to be more responsible; everyone will expect us to behave so yes, I’m kind of edgy.”

Caden chuckled.

“I didn’t mean that, Alice. I was wondering if you were having second thought about the two of us moving in together.”

I turned around to look into the gorgeous bluish-grey eyes of my boyfriend.

“I can never have doubts about us living together, Caden. I want you with me.”

His embrace tightened as he smiled and leaned down to kiss me.

“Oh, come on! We haven’t even properly moved in yet and you already started making out?” Skyler teased as he and Keegan walked in.

“Aren’t you supposed to be unpacking?” Caden growled, irritated by the interruption.

“Too lazy,” Sky stated and the two newcomers flung themselves on our couch.

“What’s on TV?” The boy with the reddish-brown hair queried, tightening his low ponytail before reaching for the remote.

“You have your own TV in your own apartment; go watch that… Now!” Cade ordered in his I’m-not-taking-your-bullshit tone. Our two neighbors shared a look, got up and left with the male Miller twin muttering something about us being rude and how he thought moving in the same building would mean that we’d spent more time together.