Chapter 28

Alice’s POV

“Wow, that’s so soon,” I commented once Aunt Flora told me the date they’ve picked for the wedding.

“Well, we figured there was no reason to postpone it anymore,” the mobile connection could not hide the excitement in her voice. “We don’t want anything fancy anyway. I’ll be making my own dress and a friend of Will will be performing the ceremony. Speaking of dresses: you must come home to try yours on. You’ll be my bridesmaid after all.”

“How about I come over this weekend?” I suggested just as someone waved at me from the other end of the street. “I’d like to see Chess; it’s been too long and I miss him.”

“Oh, so you’ve missed your pet but not your aunts?” She pretended to be offended and I rolled my eyes. The redhead, who’d been walking towards me and was finally in front of me, raised an eyebrow in question.

“I have to go now, aunty. I’ll come home this Friday evening.”

“See you in a couple of days, honey. Tell Caden, the twins, Asher and Keegan the date for me, okay? We’ve already told Cillian and I’ll call Logan and Morgan later today.”

“Sure thing, aunty. Give my love to everyone at home.”

I ended the call after she said her goodbye.

“Sorry, that you had to wait,” I apologized to Galya. “One of my aunts is getting married and they finally set the date.”

“Congratulations!” The redhead replied. “How many aunts do you have?”

“Three on my mother’s side. You?”

“Don’t know much about my mother’s side,” she muttered. “So what did you want to talk about?”

I took a deep breath.

“It might seem strange to you but… I went through something really bad and for a while I kept it all to myself. It was not helping; I shouldn’t have bottled things inside me and I realized that after I talked with Caden about it.” I made a pause to see her reaction. She simply nodded and waited for me to go on. “It might seem silly to you but one of my problems was… you.”

She raised both eyebrows this time.

“Me?” She exclaimed surprised.

I sat on the bench that was behind me.

We were at one of Aberville’s parks, the one that was opposite Alfredo’s. I liked the place with its big trees and cared for gardens. There was also a children’s playground here and even though I’ve chosen a rather secluded place for my meeting with Galya, I could hear the kid’s jolly laughs, mingled everyone and then with their parents’ concerned “not so fast” or “don’t climb that high” cries.

“You,” I stated and then I laid it all out for her. I told her everything: how my dad died, how my mother distanced herself from me, how I moved with my aunts where I met Caden and the boys. I told her about the first robbery – the one where I actually knocked the guy out and then I told her how he came back to seek his revenge. I told her about the shooting, I told her about the months of recovery, the depression and those grim thoughts how I did not deserve Cade and that I’d though he’d be better off with someone else, someone like her. I told this stranger my whole life’s story. I cried in front of her, I sobbed and I cussed and she silently listened to all my narrative. At a certain point she’d sat down beside me, and hugged me, trying to console me. A few of the people who walked by us stopped to see if I was okay. It was only then that Galya had spoken, telling them that I’d be alright and that they should go on their way.