Chapter 32

A/N: And the winner is ReaRea215; she gets this chapter dedicated to her because she was the first to figure out who the stalker’s associate was :)

Bravo to everyone else who also got it right!

*****

Alice’s POV

I wondered why Caden was taking so long. It’s been ages since he’d left. Didn’t he say he was just going to get some groceries?

I smiled as a thought occurred to me: maybe he was preparing something special to celebrate me getting back to Aberville.

Oh, what a wonderful surprise that would be!

He’d come back, he’d make me dinner – perhaps one of my favorite meals – and then we’d eat some dessert. We’d catch up on who’s been doing what over the weekend, I’ll share with him how happy I was that I was finally getting along with my mother and then…

I grinned.

Then we’d catch up with each other.

In the bedroom.

Would we even make it there?

I got off the couch and went into our bedroom. I planned on dressing up a bit; nothing too fancy, just changing into those green shorts that Caden liked so much.

I couldn’t wait for him to be back; we’d have such an amazing night together.

*****

Caden’s POV

We walked for maybe half an hour until we reached a part of Aberville I’d never been in before. And why would I want to come here?

Run-down houses were on both sides of the trash-covered street; broken glass from beer bottles (judging by the color) was scattered pretty much everywhere; the people were unclean, unshaven and most of them so drunk they were swaying… I’ve been to neighborhoods like this in my hometown but I did my best to avoid them. In a place like this you could get punched or stabbed just for glancing at the wrong person.

The house we entered was like the rest – shabby and with junk all over the uncut lawn. The door screeched as the thug opened it and he gestured for me to move inside. I did not enjoy hearing his footsteps behind me as I walked into the hallway.

“To the left,” his gruff voice directed and I stepped into a living room.

The stench of cigarettes assaulted my nose and I briefly wondered how the hell did that not bother me before when I was also a smoker. The room had five people, excluding the two of us, three of whom were scantily dressed girls in their early twenties. Two of them were sitting on a couch by the sides of a familiar man in his thirties who was leaning over a coffee table.

“Marc,” I growled and he lifted his head, allowing me to see what was on the surface before him: coke. Now, what a surprise!

“Caden,” he stated, faking surprise. “I'm so glad I ran into you. I have a job that requires your... special skills.”

“Not interested.”

“But you haven't even heard my offer yet,” he leaned back on the faded couch, his arms circling the shoulders of the two girls.