Chapter 27:Polite Chit-Chat

Evangeline POV:

“Uh, if everyone could gather.” Elijah spoke up over the murmur, silencing it as everyone looked to the staircase where he and his family stood. The only one I didn’t recognize is the one that caught my attention, this was Finn Mikaelson. The man that had spent 900 years in a coffin because of Klaus. “Thank you for joining us. You know, whenever my mother brings our family together like this, it’s tradition for us to commence the evening with a dance.” My gaze then landed on a woman as she descended the staircase. “Tonight’s pick is a centuries old waltz. So if all of you could please find yourselves a partner and join us in the ballroom.”

Elijah descended the staircase and his eyes caught sight of me easily. “What are you doing here? I thought you left with-“

“You don’t have to act like you didn’t know about the compulsion; Kol has explained and I understand.”

“What do you mean?”

“1911, the year Kol was daggered by Klaus.”

“That was never meant for you to know. Rebekah and I tried to make sure it didn’t.”

“Well now I know and I’ve cut ties with him.” Saying it out loud was like lifting an enormous weight from my shoulders. “Now, are you going to let me step on your feet or was once enough?”

Elijah smiled and held his arm out. “May I have this dance?”

“You may.” I linked my own arm through his and let him lead me towards the ballroom. “I hope you know that my dancing has yet to improve since the thirties.”

“Your dancing has yet to improve at all.”

“Give me some credit; at least I’ve stopped having to stand on your feet.” I declared proudly as Elijah showed me how to get in the appropriate position to start the dance. “What are the steps?”

“Just follow my lead; you’ll get it before we have to switch.”

I looked over at him as the dance began. “Wait, switch? I’m going to embarrass myself!”

“You,” Elijah began as he spun me to face him completely, “will do fine. Just make sure you don’t break his toes.”

I scoffed. “I wouldn’t break his toes since it’s more likely I will be paired with a vampire. Or Matt, but I won’t break his toes.”

“Since when are you logical?”

“Since my logical brother lost his humanity to your impulsive one.”

“Alright, changing the subject. Have I told you how good you look yet?”

“No I don’t believe you have; do tell.”

“Red suits you and nobody will be able to see blood on it.”