Chapter 24: Meetings

Evangeline POV:

The airport was crowded with people; some arriving and some departing, but all of them carrying bags. Lots of bags, which made Katherine and I stand out greatly since we only carried a suitcase each; we always traveled light.

“Hail a taxi, I’m going to get a snack.” Katherine told me before giving me her suitcase and walking off in search of a meal. She hadn’t fed since we departed from Scotland, even though we changed our flight to make a stop in Virginia in order to drop Kol off and ended up just coming to New Orleans. She had spent her time talking to Kol while I got myself a meal that didn’t come from a bag.

Katherine POV:

Kol had assured me that he wouldn’t be truly daggered, which meant Evangeline’s compulsion would stick and I didn’t have to worry. Things had been going perfectly since he compelled her to forget and I didn’t want that to be ruined. She was in a good place now, safe from the influence of Klaus.

I took my phone from my pocket and punched in the only person in Mystic Falls whose number I knew by heart; Stefan Salvatore. It rang a few times before he picked up.

Stefan: What do you want?

Katherine: Don’t be grumpy, Stefan. I have some news about your sister and someone I want you to make sure doesn’t get the pointy end of a dagger.

Stefan: Shouldn’t you be speaking with Damon about this?

Katherine: I would if I knew his number by heart, but I don’t. Now about this person, it’s Kol Mikaelson. If he is killed then Evangeline’s compulsion will wear off and she will remember everything about Klaus. I know you don’t care about her compulsion; but you care about hurting Klaus. The longer he goes without word from her the more pain he will experience. Which means Kol Mikaelson cannot be daggered or killed, none of it.

Stefan: So you think that by allowing this compulsion to continue, I’ll be hurting Klaus?

Katherine: Yes.

Stefan: Well it seems to me that he’s found a new girl to terrorize, one that isn’t anything like my sister.

Katherine: What? Who on earth is it?

Stefan: It’s Caroline; he had Tyler bite her about a week ago to gain invitation to her house.

Katherine: What the hell? Why? She’s so annoying and blonde, does he have no boundaries?

Stefan: Your guess is as good as mine, but he’s moved on. I suppose your evil plan has failed, goodbye Katherine.

He hung up before I could say anything more and I shrieked in frustration. By compelling Evangeline, I’ve simply given Klaus the opportunity to hurt someone else; not that I cared about Caroline or her feelings. She could have Klaus, but I knew that if there ever were a time that Evangeline remembered Klaus, she’d be crushed that he could move on so quickly after she left.