Chapter 31: We Can Break

Evangeline POV:

Six shots fired from the speakers and each made me cringe as I looked to the screen from the letter in my hand. There was shouting as boys encircled the dying one; I could feel the tears coming on strong. It was a mystery why The Outsiders still managed to have me balling at the end, even though I have seen it more than any other movie.

My eyes quickly diverted back to the pile of letters on my lap, I wiped my eyes with a sniffle. All around me there were letters; on the floor, the chairs beside me, in my hands, on my lap, and the ones I had not read remained in the chest where I had found them. They never seemed to end.

I had categorized the ones I had read by century. Most came from between the 1100s and the early 1700s; I assumed this was the time where he was more actively killing human females. They started lessening around the time he arrived in New Orleans, 1711 according to Elijah.

The only real puzzling thing was why Klaus insisted upon doing this. It was bad enough he had killed them, but to keep a letter splattered with their blood to reflect on how you deceived them? That’s far worse than simply killing them.

Before my reflections could continue, there were footsteps. Someone had come back. I quickly put all the letters back and slid the box underneath my seat before getting up and exiting the room.

“Evangeline!” Someone shouted and I instantly deduced it as Elijah, not Finn as I had expected. I walked back through the kitchen on my way to the foyer. “I’m back.”

As I stepped into the foyer, I saw that it was not just Elijah. Kol and Klaus were also there, all of them dressed in dark colored clothing. “I’ve noticed, I was just in the theater.” I gestured in the direction I had come from before my eyes focused on Klaus.

The question of how he could’ve done what he did was back in my mind and I grew increasingly uncomfortable. “You were in there for 12 hours?” Elijah inquired and I glanced at the watch on my wrist, it was 10:45pm.

“Yes.” I nodded, wondering how on earth the letters had distracted me through nearly 5 movies for 12 hours. “I lost track of things after Dracula.”

More accurate of an excuse for my loss of time would have been during Dracula, that was the first movie I had watched and I was obsessed with the letters long before its conclusion. “That doesn’t surprise me; you have the attention span of a child.” Kol remarked and I rolled my eyes at him.

“Says you.” I retorted, it didn’t take much for Kol to lose interest in something either. “I guess it really does take one to know one.”

“You certainly do bicker like children.” I was frozen by the voice, this being the first time I had heard it since it was telling me to leave. My attention was immediately back on Klaus.

His smirk told me that he knew very well what was going on in my head now. I was caught off guard and completely terrified. “Precisely my point.” I spoke, my voice dry and scratchy. “I need to go speak with my brothers. Elijah next time I see you, you owe me an explanation.”