Chapter twenty seven: Not Our Battle

Chelsea's POV

"This way people." A guard commented, waving an arm around to guide us to the right direction.

"What do you think this whole meeting is for?" Aaron whispered quietly to me, making sure that he wasn't caught by any of the guards. Apparently talking was forbidden as of right now.

I shrugged, keeping my eyes locked forward. "I heard some rumors about missions, but I'm not so sure."

He nodded.

"Is this where Maya is located?" Chris scrunched his nose up in disgust as his eyes landed upon a crumbling building.

If it even qualified for a building.

"Shut your mouth, man." Aaron nudged Chris in the gut, effectively silencing him.

I watched curiously as a guard opened the worn down door to the small building. He turned around to face all of us, beckoning us to follow him.

"Follow me please. We'll be heading down to the basement." He stated firmly in a voice that oddly reminded me of a brass instrument.

Soon enough, all of us were shuffling through the door. Some people walked calmly through, others stood rigidly near the entrance looking like they were about to pass out. One of those people was none other than Theo. Before I could come over to ask what was wrong with him, Aaron made it his job himself to literally drag him in with him.

I flinched when I felt someone took hold of my hand. I confusedly stared at Chris, who looked just as confused as me as he stared at our intertwined hands.

"You might get lost." He meekly explained.

*****-*****

"You might be wondering why I called you all down here in such short notice." Maya droned on as she paced around the large room. The "basement" as the guard had called it earlier, was basically just a huge, empty, gray room with a wooden table and two plastic chairs plopped right smack in the middle. Maya and what I was assuming her father sat in both of the chairs, both of them clutching papers in their hands.

"I've called all of you to come here since many of you have finally completed the requirements to earn missions now." Maya's chocolate eyes darted to her paper, calling out the first name on the list. "Gina Corning."

I saw Gina flinch at the mention of her name. She nervously walked infront of the small wooden table where Maya and her father were seated. I watched as she was handed a few papers from Maya's dad.

"The paper will contain your mission and your group members." She stated loudly, making sure everyone in the room understood clearly. "Wendy Dweller." She moved on to the next name, making the tension in the air thicken.

*****-*****

"This is not possible." I wadded the papers up into a ball and threw them into the corner of Chris, Aaron, and I's tent."

I wouldn't have done that if I were you." Theo sighed, skimming the contents of his papers. "What's taking Aaron and Chris so long anyways?" He asked.

I sighed, plopping myself down on my sleeping bag. "According to Maya, their mission is pretty complicated. Apparently further explanation is needed."

"I wish I was put into their group. My group has a person named Kornell in it."

I rolled my eyes. "What's your mission again?"

He handed me his pile of papers, too lazy to explain to me.

"Guarding of the base." I read aloud.