Chapter fourteen: Insanely Sentimental

"Hey Rose?" I whispered.

"Hmmm?" She yawned sleepily at me as she got up from her bed. Her green eyes seemed cat like as she squinted at the clock. "My god Chelsea." She groaned. "It's one in the morning!" She rubbed her drooping eyes. "Go get some sleep. I'm too tired to think." And with that...Rose plopped back on the white sheets of her bed.

I rolled my eyes.

The truth was, I couldn't sleep.

At all.

My vision had these random spasmic moments when it would turn all red, then somehow dissipate back to normal.

I was more than a little creeped out; so like the scared little girl I was...I stayed up all night without an ounce of sleep. Glancing down at my fuzzy pajamas - the only thing we were allowed to wear other than our uniforms - I hopped out of bed.

As discreetly as possible, I tip toed past Rose's bed.

I placed an unsure hand on the doorknob.

Should I?

Thinking against it, I unlocked the door carefully.

"Chelsea?" Rose quietly murmured. Her voice was clouded with tiredness.

"Go to sleep." I instructed her. "I'll be out for a little while."

"But," a yawn interrupted her sentence. "Why?"

I shrugged. "I just need some air."

She sighed heavily. "Alright. Don't stay out too long. Sean would kill you if you got caught."

"I won't get caught."

She snickered. "Right. Night Chels."

I smirked. "Night."

*********

I never really had a thing for the beach...or water in general. Though I couldn't be more thankful for a beach now.

I closed my eyes contently as I listened to the soft breeze of the night shifting and lifting the light sand.

"Couldn't sleep either?"

I flinched harshly and jolted forward, face first into the hot sand. I groaned as I coughed out particles of sand out of my mouth.

"Not your most attractive angle right now."

"Shut up Chris." I huffed angrily as I dusted off my pajamas. I was able to recognize that voice from a mile away. "These were my special fuzzy kitty ones too!"

He apologetically smiled at me. "Sorry?"

"You better be." I stood up to my full height and crossed my arms over my chest. "So why couldn't you sleep?"

Chris drew random patterns on the sand with his foot as he spoke. "I just kept thinking about the people who got captured." He admitted. "Sean talked to me a few hours ago." With a sigh he added, "He said almost a hundred students were taken."

I didn't know how to respond, so I stayed quiet letting him continue with his flow.

"He also said that he'll have to announce everything tomorrow to the whole school."

"Why do you keep addressing Sean as Sean?" I interrupted. "I thought he was your dad."

He bit his lip nervously. "Well..."

"Chris!" I warned.

"Okay fine." He held his hands up. "He is my dad, but..."

"But?" I urged.