Chapter five: My Mom Goes Mad

To tell you the truth, despite my exemplary grades, I was about as dumb as Sawyer. And that was saying something.

First of all we had no plan. Sawyer and I had simply had jumped into Dad's beaten up pickup truck, and sped off.

Second of all, we had no idea where we were going. Yes we were dumb enough to go looking for our parents without having the slightest idea where they were.

Great job Chels.

I grit my teeth. Blabs was only ticking on the delicate glass of sanity I had left.

Oh am I annoying you?

Shut it Blabs.

She was silent after that, which I was thankful for. I kept my eyes on the road, occasionally turning to Sawyer's directions. He knew this town better than me at fourteen years. Another thing to add to my list of failures.

"Turn left!"

I flinched and veered to the left.

"Geez Sawyer. A little gentler next time?" I hissed

"Sorry, but I swear I saw something behind those trees."

I spared a glance to my right. I squinted my eyes to get a glimpse of any white fur roaming around the cluster of trees.

"Squirrel!" Sawyer screeched loudly.

I stomped my foot heavily on the break, causing a screeching halt that barely missed Senor squirrel. He scurried along innocently unaware of the life death crisis he almost faced.

"Squirrels." I muttered. "Hate them."

Sawyer rolled his eyes. "Yeah yeah yeah. Hurry up though, mom might be in trouble."

I sighed and nodded.

"Chelsea!"

"What?" I worriedly glanced everywhere. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." He smirked. "I just wanted to see how nervous you were."

I flipped him off.

**********

We drove around town for five more minutes.

"Maybe mom and dad are fine." I tried to reassure my brother, but I still came to no avail.

He rubbed his hands together, contemplating what to do next. He finally slumped down in his seat. His sagged shoulders and worried eyes made him look ten times older than he really was.

"Wanna stop for pizza?" I tried again.

He gave me a look that basically said, really? Pizza?

I bit my lip unsure how to handle an upset fourteen year old boy.

"Try calling them." I handed him my phone.

He struck his forehead suddenly. "Why didn't I think of that before!" He swiped my phone in lighting speed and furiously pressed on numbers. He anxiously waited for an answer.

"Hello?" I heard a faint voice said.

Sawyer broke off to a releived grin. He put it on speaker and held it in-between us.

"Mom? Are you guys fine?" I asked.

She sounded like she was panting heavily. "Yeah we're fine sweetie. Wait...How did you know?"

"News." Sawyer cut in.

Mom cursed and muttered something to what I assumed was dad.

"Is dad there?"

"Yup. We're both fine. We had to run for it but we're unscathed." She again whispered something to dad. "We're coming home in five minutes. A family meeting is mandatory."

I gulped. I didn't particularly like her demanding tone.

She hung up abruptly, leaving Sawyer and I gazing confusedly at each other.

"Is pizza still an offer?" He nervously laughed.

**********

I set myself down on the dining table, waiting impatiently for mom and dad to come. Suddenly, they burst through the front door, both covered in sweat and dirt stains. I coughed at their combined stench. They were both in a hushed conversation that even I struggled to catch.

I cleared my throat. Both of their heads snapped towards me. Mom hurriedly tugged dad along to me.

"Pack your stuff." She commanded to me.

"Excuse me?"

"Pack your stuff now Chelsea!" She hollered.

My whole mind was numbed by the news.

Are we leaving?

Well no dip Sherlock! Blabs suddenly popped inside my head.

Not now Blabs!

Fine! I can take a hint.

"Mom!" I grabbed her by the shoulders. "Calm down. What's happening?"

Her brown eyes softened, but hardened again. "They're coming." She said through clenched teeth.

"Who's coming?" I desperately tried to get anything out of her.

"Your school will explain everything. But for now you need to pack your bags! Now Chelsea!" She boomed.

I worriedly glanced back at mom's frazzled state and I bounded my way upstairs. 

I threw a compilation of my clothes in my suit case. I rummaged around my room for anything else I needed.

A shaky breath managed to escape without my permission. I still had no idea what was happening and I was too scared that one question could crack mom completely. She was on the brink of madness judging be her appearance alone. I twisted the bracelet I had on my wrist absent mindedly. I was still thinking when Sawyer came in my room looking horrified.

"What's happening?" He sat himself down on my fuzzy green rug.

I bitterly laughed. "My guess is as good as yours.

"I think we're..." He hesitated a bit, "I think we're both going to Shapeshifter Academy."

I froze.

Is that the truth?

Oh god I hoped it wasn't. What about Rachael, Taylinn, Naomi, and Chris? I thought I was enrolling in the Summer, not in the middle of spring!

I sprinted down the stairs and I searched around the house for dad. I was pretty sure mom was in no condition to talk, but I was willing to try my luck with dad. I finally spotted him calmly drinking coffee in the kitchen.

He looked fine enough. I tentatively shuffled forward to him.

"Dad?"

His eyes never strayed from the floor.

"Yes?"

"What's going on?"

He sighed deeply. "It's too complicated to explain now Chelsea, but Shapeshifter Academy should inform you."

I sucked in a breath. My suspicions were confirmed. Sawyer and I, were actually going to Shapeshifter Academy.