Chapter fifteen: All Shifters and Red Foxes

"Where were you last night?" Rose stuffed her plate to the rim with several amounts of food from the breakfast buffet.

I shrugged as I glanced down at my equally overflowing plate. "Just went out for some air."

"Attention students!"

Rose and I quickly set our plates down in a table where Jane and Nate sat talking casually.

"Hey guys!" I whisper yelled.

Nate and Jane briefly spared Rose and I a glance as they focused their attention at Sean.

"As you all know, a series of traumatic events occurred yesterday."

A soft plop caught my attention.

"Hey." Maya greeted the table as she plopped down her plate next to mine.

I nervously smiled, my mind reeling over on what Aria had said.

"Just tell us already!" Rose whined aloud to Sean as she sipped her orange juice.

Sean gave Rose a provocative scowl before continuing.

"Many students have been taken, and even more face severe injuries."

"What were they?" A student shouted.

"Yeah!" Rose joined in.

I smacked her on the shoulder. "Rose!"

"What?" She huffed.

"Just stay quiet."

"Like I'm gonna stay quiet." She muttered.

"Those students...were all shifters. All shifters are powerful humans with the ability to shift to any animal possible."

"Can we sit here?" I nodded and payed no attention as Chris and Aaron took a seat at our table.

A girl with bright blue hair rose from her seat. "Why did they take everybody? They took my sister sir!"

Sean focused on the girl intently.

"All shifters and regular shifters have had a long past together. In the late 1800's...we normal shifters deemed the all shifters a powerful and dangerous force. Because of this...our ancestor shifters ordered to execute all of the all shifters. Wars raged on...but we should've known that they would retaliate. For several decades...nothing happened. Though for the last few years, several abductions and raids have taken place in several shifting schools. I believe...that the all shifters have returned."

Chris raised his hand. "Will you send out search parties for the missing people?"

Sean sighed.

"Yes, but I will only be sending out one group. It's too risky to send out several of them."

"I'll go." I recognized Aria as she stood up from her seat.

Sean nodded.

"Me too." Maya stood up and looked at Aria to gauge her reaction.

Aria's eyes soon clouded over with fear.

"She can't si-"

"Anyone else?" Sean interrupted Aria.

Several hands rose up, including Chris and Aaron's.

"Chris, Stacy, and Aaron."

**********

I boredly flicked the pages of my book.

English apparently included: The Adventures of Lacy the Shifter!

The whole class was supposed to be reading chapter three, but everyone in the room mirrored the same glum frown.

Professor Alvin frowned at the students.

"Let's do something a bit more interesting." He shot up from his chair and beckoned everyone to follow him.

Curious glances were shared as we followed Professor Alvin out into the courtyard.

"Non shifters, please raise your hands!"

Everyone's hand shot up, save for Aria.

"Perfect." Professor Alvin grinned crookedly. "Will you please come over here Aria?"

Aria's eyes widened. "Me?" She quietly drawled out.

"Yes dear."

She shuffled slowly towards Professor Alvin.

"Will you please demonstrate to the class how you shift?"

Aria awkwardly bent her knees. A light pink bloomed on her cheeks as we watched her body start growing black patches of fur. Her green eyes, if possible, intensified to an almost neon green. She now bent down to all fours as her hands transformed to paws. I looked away as I heard the first bone pop.

"Very good Aria!"

I spared a glance behind me to see a black panther laying down infront of the class. Aria's eyes focused on the butterfly that fluttered above us. She reared up her back legs before clumsily pouncing on it playfully. She continued to swat the poor thing.

"As you can see, Aria's animal has taken over." Professor Alvin chuckled as he watched Aria pounce on the butterfly like a newborn kitten.

Out of nowhere, a piercing scream erupted from Rose. She gasped as she kneeled over in pain.

"What's happening to her?" I cried.

Professor Alvin held me back. "She's shifting.

I watched with wide eyes as Rose struggled to breath.

"This shifting thing sucks!" She screamed out through gritted teeth.

The whole class laughed at her sly joke.

Rose's green eyes were the first to change. Unlike Aria's, hers turned much darker. Rose started to form red fur throughout her body, similar to her hair.

I snorted out in laughter after Rose's shift was finished.

She met my eyes and ginned coyly in her animal form.

Rose had shifted to a red fox.

The freaking song was about to get more annoying than ever.