Chapter two: My Mom and White Leopards

I waited impatiently for Rachael and Chris after last block. They were both working in such a slow tempo that I actually felt like growling at them. I sighed loudly, indicating my annoyance. Both heads snapped towards me, then back to their english papers.

"Hurry up!" I whined.

Rachael held up a hand, telling me to shut up. I rolled my eyes and proceeded to whine at the both of them.

"Would you shut up?!" Chris muttered.

"You guys take forever! It's already ten minutes after class!" I pointed out.

"Done!" Rach exclaimed suddenly.

Chris groaned. "Crap, I have to finish this for homework now."

I smirked at his sullen face.

I was such a supportive friend, I know...

They both gathered their books and stuffed them in their worn bags.

"So Tailynn and Naomi still haven't returned from their date yet with Tony and Jace?" Rachael mused.

Chris snorted. "Tony and Jace are so whipped."

I slapped him lightly on the head. "Oh shut it! I think its cute!"

He rubbed the side of the head glaring at me.

We entered the parking lot and the three of us sauntered our way to Chris' grey car. I had called shot gun earlier so I plopped myself down on the leather seats. Chris soon entered the car and he proceeded to drive to Rachael's house.

"Turn the radio on!" Rach shrieked loudly. "I wanna sing!"

A groan escaped my lips. I mentally prepared myself for the ear splitting torture that was bound to happen.

Chris sighed and flipped the radio on. We were soon consumed in an abundance of classical music.

"What the heck? How do I sing along with this?" She pouted.

Chris grinned. "Exactly."

I was set off in a guffaw of laughter at Rach's furious face.

"Change the station Chels!" She pleaded.

"I don't know Rach...I'm kinda digging this song!" I turned the volume louder, causing Rach to smack me in the head from behind.

I shot her a glare, which she graciously gave back.

"Serves you right." Chris chuckled. "That slap actually hurt."

"Oh please! I barely even touched your head!"

"Seriously though, there's gonna be a red mark there now."

"OI!" Rach interjected. "You just passed my house!"

Chris sheepishly grinned. "Sorry."

**********

Chris and I both watched Rachael's retreating figure as she entered the house. He drove away once she entered her house.

"So..." I mentally cringed at how awkward that came out.

As if he read my thoughts, Chris broke off to one of his famous grins.

"So..." He mimicked in a light and teasing tone.

"You still smell bad." I blurted out.

He laughed. "Yeah right."

I scowled at him. He actually still reeked of a foul stench. I scrunched my nose up.

"Seriously though Chris. You honestly smell terrible."

He sniffed himself cautiously while looking at the road.

"I don't smell it."

I frowned.

"Maybe you have like an advanced sense of smell."

I rolled my eyes. "Right, and unicorns exist."

He snorted. "You have no idea."

**********

Our two cozy houses came into view.

"Yes! Home!" I threw my hands up in the air. "

"And I'm friends with you because?" He dramatically sighed.

"Shut up."

He chuckled. "See you tomorrow?"

I nodded. "Yep. See ya!"

I exited out of his car and bounded my way to my white two story house. Before I even knocked on the door, my mom came out looking frantic and worried.

"Mom? Are you okay?"

Her honey dew brown eyes looked ghostly and frightened.

"Chelsea! We need to talk. NOW!'

She gripped my arm tightly and pulled me inside. I was met by a stressed out dad and a confused brother.

My brother Sawyer looked at me in question. I shrugged at him.

"Mom? Dad? What's wrong?" I repeated.

They both glanced at me with frazzled stares.

"Why don't we talk in your room sweetie." My mom nervously fidgeted with her fingers.

"Um...yeah...sure mom."

I padded my way towards my room, which was located upstairs. I sat down on my bed, and waited quietly for my mom to come in. I finally heard my mother's light footsteps. My lime green door creaked open revealing my petite mother. She sat down on the corner of my bed. Her eyebrows were creased in worry and nervousness.

"So..." She started.

I was briefly reminded of the conversation Chris and I had in his car. A small smile tugged the corner of my lips as I mulled over the events.

"Honey?"

I snapped back to focus and I attentively listened to my mom.

"I don't know how to say this." She breathily laughed.

I shrugged. "Just say it mom."

She breathed in deeply.  "So you know how I have an obsession with white leopards."

I nodded smiling faintly. My mom had an unusual obsession with the white leopard as long as I could remember. No, she wasn't some crazy cat lady or messed up nutcase cheetah girl, but she often watched documantaries about white leopards and she absolutely adored our little white Bengal cat, Cassie.

"Well what if I told you, that I may be very...uh...close to that animal..."

"What do you mean?"

She sighed. "Don't move."

She stood up and positioned herself in a firm stance. I gasped as her face slowly morphed to a sharp snout. Her usual brown eyes turned an electric yellow. White fur slowly spread out her body. A sickening sound of cracking bones erupted from her body, making me cringe. Slowly but surely, her body morphed from a human, to a full blown white leopard. Her sharp yellow eyes stared at me intently, gauging my reaction. I gulped.

"You've got to be kidding me."

And that's when everything turned black.