Chapter four: My Mom is in the News

I stumbled across the school halls like a drunk Irish man.

Probably shouldn't have had a Grey's Anatomy Marathon last night Chelsea...

I sighed. The "voice" had been reappearing more ever since I found out about shifters last week. I chose to ignore it, but of course it continued to yap in my head like the annoying voice it was.

"Chels!"

I suppressed the urge to groan. I plastered on the biggest smile I had and faced Rachael.

"Hey!" I greeted her cheerfully.

"What happened to you Chels? You look terrible!" She ushered me to a girl's bathroom.

"Rach! I'm gonna be late for history!" I whined

She rolled her greenish eyes. "Oh don't give me that crap. I know you could care less."

Nice friend ya got there Chels.

I ignored the voice and I focused on Rachael.

"What's wrong with you Chels?" She angrily demanded. Taylinn, Naomi, Chris, and I are worried sick about you." She waved her hands frantically around with each syllable she said. "You space out a lot and you're always busy now!" She was breathing heavily once she was finished with her rant.

I really wanted to tell Rachael about everything. Though the promise I gave my dad sealed that secret from ever spilling out.

I sighed. "Look Rach," I brushed a stray black hair out of my face, "It's complicated. Like really messed up complicated."

She stomped her foot like an angry toddler. "Chelsea! Tell me what's wrong! The last time any of us saw you was last week when we went shopping together. I don't even know what happened to Chris!"

"Something happened to Chris?!" I cut her off.

She waved an arm like it was nothing. "Oh I don't even know. He was absent the whole week."

I frowned. I hadn't even noticed that. Most of the time spent in class was wasted having silent disputes with the annoying nagging voice inside of me.

"Is he okay?"

Rachael shrugged. "I'm sure he's fine. He's Chris, but we're all worried about you Chelsea."

I smiled reassuringly at her. "Don't worry about me Rachael. I'm just going through a rough patch."

"Is there any way I could help you?" She pleaded.

I shook my head sadly. "Not that I know of."

"Okay." She sighed. "As long as you're fine. Text me tonight okay?"

I nodded.

"Good. I'll see you at lunch outside." She left the bathroom and her footsteps turned fainter with every step she took.

**********

Hurry up Chels. I'm starving.

Shut up Blabs. I mentally commuted with her. After much argument, I found out the voice was a girl.

Did you just call me Blabs?

I smirked. Yep. That's my nickname for you. So how's it going Blabs?

I prefer the name voice instead of Blabs.

I rolled my eyes. I grabbed my light purple lunch bag and shuffled my way to meet Rachael, Taylinn, and Naomi for lunch.

A chorus of hello's and hey's rippled through my friends as I took a seat next to them in the picnic table. Tony I noticed was sitting unusually close to Taylin. I met her gaze and she nodded shyly, understanding my suspicions. Jace I also noticed was chatting happily with Naomi. It didn't take a matchmaker to figure out that they were dating. I smiled to myself as I pulled out a Turkey sandwich.

You like Turkey? Blabs commented dryly.

You don't? I retorted.

Chicken is good. Turkey is gah...

Nah I'm enjoyoing this sandwich.

Jerk...

I laughed aloud at that. All eyes snapped at me curiously.

"Uh..." I stammered. "Hey?" I waved meekly at my friends.

They all gave me one last odd stare and returned back to their conversations. I took a big bite of my Turkey sandwich and I sighed miserebly.

You better be a cool animal Blabs.

She snorted defiantly.

I'll definitely surprise you.

I flinched when I felt a sharp pain on my arm. I scowled at Rachael when I saw her smiling apologetically at me.

"Did you just pinch me?"

She laughed nervously.

"Rachael!" I warned.

"Okay okay!" She held her hands up in mock surrender. "You were zoning out on me again though."

"I was?" I hadn't even realized she was talking to me.

She nodded vigorously. "Yup. I was asking if you had any plans tomorrow night."

I shrugged. "Not that I know of."

"Great! Tay and I are going ice skating. Wanna come?"

I hesitated. Ice skating wasn't exactly rainbows and sunshine for me.

"C'mon Chels please?" She pleaded.

"You know I'm terrible at it Rach." I reasoned.

"What are you talking about?"

I gave her a dry stare. "Have you seen me skate before?"

She briefly furrowed her eyebrows in thought. She finally remembered the last time I had gone skating.

"Oh." Was all that came out of her.

"Yeah." I responded.

"That doesn't mean you can't come!" She again tried.

I blew out a frustrated breath. "Fine." I grumbled. "But don't expect me to move an inch."

Her light green eyes lit up. "Yes!"

Something tells me you suck on ice. Blabs commented.

You have no idea Blabs.

**********

"I'm home mom!" I hollered smacking the door shut.

"Geez Chelsea. Lower down your voice will ya?" Sawyer muttered on the couch.

"Where's mom?" I ignored his last common.

"She went outside for a jog." He popped a chip in his mouth.

"A jog?" Since when did mom go jogging?

"You know." He hinted.

"Ohh..." I finally realized what he meant. Mom went out for a run in her crazy cat mode.

"So dad is-"

"With her." Sawyer finished.

I nodded and plopped myself on the leather couch. I stole the remote from Sawyer ignoring his ear splitting protests. I flipped through the channels occasionally stopping on a channel if it caught my eye.

"Stop there!" Sawyer lunged for the remote.

I rolled my eyes at his antics. He fumbled around with the remote a bit until he finally found the designated channel. The local news came up showing several photos of wolves and enormous jungle cats.

"Raise the volume up Sawyer."

He obeyed.

"Several locals have reported seeing a group of wolves and jungle cats around town. Thankfully no one was seriously injured, though many are troubled and scared."

Sawyer and I exchanged glances.

"Mom." I whispered.