Caramel Apple Pull-Apart

Preparation and Cook Time: 50 minutes

Makes: 12

Ingredients:

2 cups self raising flour

30g butter

1 cup milk

1/3 cup brown sugar

1 (400g) tin pie apples

Pinch of nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

2 tablespoons coarsely chopped roasted pecans

Caramel Topping:

¼ cup pouring cream

20g butter

½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar

Step 1: Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease a round 22cm cake tin.

Step 2: Sift the flour into a bowl then rub in the butter. Stir in enough of the milk to create a soft sticky dough. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth. Roll the dough on floured baking paper into a rectangle 20 by 40cm.

Step 3: Sprinkle the dough with the sugar then top evenly with the apple and spices leaving a 3cm gap at one end. Using the paper to assist roll the dough into log as you would if making a Swiss roll.

Step 4: Cut the roll into 12 slices. In the centre of the cake tin lay one piece flat. Arrange the remaining 11 slices upright out of the centre slice. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.

Step 5: While baking in a saucepan combine the cream, butter and sugar in a saucepan and heat stirring constantly until the sugar is dissolved. Simmer until it thickens slightly; about 3 minutes.

Step 6: When cooked cool for a few minutes in the tin then transfer to a rack. Evenly coat in the caramel and sprinkle with the pecans. Serve while still warm.

Caramel Topping:

Step 7: Place ingredients in small sacuepan; stir constantly over heat, without boiling, until sugar is dissolved. Simmer, uncovered, without stirring, about 3 minutes or until mixture is thickened slightly.