Kitchen Rules

Be Careful: Never cook anything unless there is an adult there to help you. Sometimes there is an oven symbol on some recipes and that means that you need to use an oven glove.

Weighing and Measuring: Each recipe gives both metric and imperial measurements. It is important to keep to one set of measurements, or the other, as it is not possible to convert one to the other exactly.

Using the Stove: Some ovens should be switched on to the temperature given in the recipe before you start cooking, so that they have heated up when you need to use them. Don’t open the oven door while things are cooking. Follow the cooking times given in the recipe, and don’t forget to turn the oven off when you have finished cooking.

Things you shouldn’t forget to do:

1.    Before you start cooking, you should wash your hands and put on an apron. You may need to roll your sleeves if long too.

2.   Collect all ingredients together. Weigh the dry ingredients and measure the liquid ones in a measuring jug.

3.   Check the recipe as you do this, to make sure that you have everything you need and know exactly what to do.    

4.   Be very careful with sharp knives. Hold them with the blade pointing downwards and always use a chopping board.

5.   When you are cooking on top of the stove, turn the saucepan to one side, so you don’t knock them.

6.   When you are stirring food in a pan, use a wooden spoon and hold the pan firmly by the handle.

7.   Whenever you find something difficult to do, ask for some help.

8.   Have a space ready for hot things. Put them on a mat or a wooden board, not straight on to a table or work surface.

9.   Always use oven gloves when picking up anything hot or when putting things into or taking them out of a.

10.                Always make sure your hands are dry before you plug in or disconnect an electric gadget, such as a blender.

11. Keep a cloth nearby so that you can wipe up any spills. Clean up anything that spills on the floor immediately.

12.                Wash up as you go along. When you finished cooking, put everything away and clean up any mess.