Chapter One

I walk back and forth in my house office. "I can't believe that this happened?" I mumble. "I can't believe people took them."

I run my hands through my hair as I stare at the email my cousin sent me. I sigh as I read it over and over again. I shut my laptop and begin my pacing again.

My door opens, I snap my attention towards it and point to the empty chair in front of my desk. Chaerin, my younger cousin, scurries over to the chair and I sit down in my black office chair.

"When did you find out?"

"They called me this morning as I was getting ready for work," Chaerin says. "I'm just as surprised as you are."

"What did the bank say word for word?"

"They called me to apologize because they were broken into last night and your family's heirlooms were taken. They said that they are going to look into the break in and inform me if they find anything out," Chaerin says.

I rest my head in my hands and think about the items in the safe. I should've kept them here with me, but I thought I couldn't protect them like that highly secured bank could. Apparently, I was wrong. If the heirlooms, or the important documents, get into the wrong hands then this country's leader is going to be in trouble — there are tapes and reports of him doing less than credible things.

"Did they say if any of the other items were taken from there?"

The black haired girl thinks about it and then shakes her head. "What's so important about the heirlooms?" Chaerin wonders.

"I'll explain that to you later. You can go to work now."

My cousin hesitates for a moment before leaving the room. She shuts the door behind her.

I lean back in my chair and rub my face. "Sorry Mom and Dad, I should've taken better care of the items," I say.

My phone in front of me bings, notifying me that I have a new text or email. I pick up my phone and open it. I check the new text from the unknown number.

???: So Byunghee, you don't know about us but we know about you. In the next fifteen minutes there will be an envelope dropped off at your door with instructions in it. If you want your family's heirlooms back, I would do what the instructs say. Have a good day.

I stare at the message confused. 'How do they know about my situation? Nobody but Chaerin, the bank and I know. Do they work for the bank? Or do they have my heirlooms?'

Me: Who are you?

???: There's ten minutes left before the envelope gets there. You'll find everything out then.

I groan at the message. I set my phone down and open my laptop again. I decide that I can get some work done before this "important" envelope gets here.

???: It's at your house.

I get up from my chair, go to the front door and open it. I pick up the brown envelope and head back to my office. I save my work, turn off my laptop and push it to the side. I set the envelope in front of me and stare at it. I debate whether or not to open it.

I sigh as I pick up my phone and begin to type out my message to the mysterious number.

Me: Is this a joke? If I open this envelope will it explode or something? How can I trust you?

???: Open it. Nothing bad will happen, so open it.

I pull out the letter opener from my top drawer and use it to open the taped envelope. I slowly open the flap and then peek into the envelope. I relax slightly when I don't see anything deadly in there.