Chapter 24!

I watched the Cullen's making their way to two of the three cars parked in my driveway; pushing Tanya roughly as she struggled weakly between Emmett and Jasper. I watched as they all lowered themselves into the car and smiled when Carlisle sent me one last warning look. It said it all in his eyes; he was warning me not to do anything rash and showing that I still have their trust. I shut the door after everyone was in and I heard the sound of car engines starting up and reversing out of my driveway. I moved to one of the front windows and sneaked a look through the curtains to ensure that they had left before running soundlessly through the house to the backdoor and slipping out into the forest. I knew the way to the Cullen's house like the back of my hand and the distance was quickly diminished as my feet took me through the silent forest at nearly the speed of light.

I reached the Cullen's house mere minutes after leaving my house. The house which always looked so welcoming and bright to me now looked dull and haunted. I knew the change in vibes was because of the news about Edward being held against his will here and being tortured. It made me wish I had never come to this town and allowed Edward into my messed up life.

I walked cautiously up to the front door of the big victorian mansion style house, my thoughts unwillingly lingering on how the Cullen's would feel when they get back to my house and realise that I have once again betrayed their easily given trust. Determinedly, I pushed the hurtful and highly distracting thoughts away and gently pushed open the front door. It swung open with ease, not even requiring me to turn the handle and proving the fact that someone had been here. That someone, I knew was Jason.

The house was eerily silent as I stepped into the dark house and using my extensive, powerful hearing I found that there was no one in the house. What is going on? I thought as I took another couple steps forwards so I was now at the base of the stares. Wearily I glanced up them, ensuring there was no one there before taking a quick glance around at my surrounds and proceeding to ascend the stairs.

Maybe he was just trying to rile everyone up and give us fear that he was somewhere important to us. It is like Jason. He just loves playing games, I thought as I finally made my way to the top of the staircase. I looked both ways before proceeding wearily down the hall to Edward's room. My eyes and ears were searching everywhere for so much as a movement or sound inside the seemingly desolate house.

 My keen eyes spotted Edward's slightly cracked open door at the end of the hallway and I made my way carefully, not fully trusting my sences anymore. Who knows what kind of witchery Jason has access to. He may have had a witch to cast a scent removing spell on him. Anything is possiblein a world full of supernatural creatures and after all; one of my powers is to conceal my scent.

I slid my back against the wall next to the opening of Edward's door as I arrived and held my breath as I inched my head around to see through the small opening. The room was empty. I let out a loud sigh as I moved forwards and pushed the door open fully to scan the empty, tidy room. Jason had just been messing around. Or was this a trap? I thought, looking everywhere in the room in case there was someone hiding but there was no one.

I sighed, knowing that Jason had indeed just done this to show how powerful and in control he is. I turned to leave when suddenly my keen eyes caught on a folded piece of paper lying on Edward's sound system.

 My heart jumped and I quickly made my over to see my name written on it in Jason's unforgettable cursive scrawl. He wasn't lying; he had been in Edward's room but only to leave me a note. A small part of me was relieved this hadn't just been a wild goose chase for Jason to show his power over me.

I reached out and picked the note up carefully. I brought it up to my nose to see if it confirmed my suspicions about Jason having a powerful witch on his side. Dread filtered through me as I couldn't scent anything but paper. This would give Jason an even bigger advantage over us. Witches were very rare and most hated vampires so I dread to know what witch would be so evil enough to agree to side with Jason.