Chapter 44: Mom!

Riley's POV

We sat in the waiting room. None of us had the strength to talk. We'd all ran out of tears and sat on chairs staring into empty space.

Ashton sat next to me and took my hand in his much bigger one. He traced random patterns with the pad of his thumb. Then he brought my hand to his mouth and kissed it on the back.

"It's going to be alright." He mumbled.

"No, it isn't." I shook my head softly. "Not when my group of friends are slowly breaking apart."

We stayed silent after that. My eyes were permanently glued to the door, where the doctor will deliver the news about Cole.

Every second felt like an hour. As time dragged on, I began sleepier.

My eyes began drooping. I'd occasionally catch my self falling asleep. When I do, I would shake my head lightly, in hopes of clearing my sleepiness.

Unfortunately, some time down that road of unsuccessfulness, my head had decided to rest on Ashton's shoulder. I felt him adjusted himself so that he and I were in a more comfortable position. Right as I was drifting off, the doctor came in.

Our heads snapped to her, our eyes held worry and sadness. Worry for one of our friends, and sadness for the passing of another.

"Cole's sister?" The doctor asked.

Lucy stood up and walked to him. "Yes, doctor? Did the surgery go well?"

The doctor didn't answer her question right away. He looked through some papers before answering her.

"The surgery went very well. There is a high chance that Cole will live, however," the doctor looked at her sternly, "I can't guarantee that his body will accept the change of hearts."

Lucy nodded her head. "Okay, so he'll live."

"There is a ninety percent chance." The doctor corrected.

"He'll live." Lucy said.

"Might." The doctor said again.

"He will live." Lucy insisted.

The doctor sighed, realizing that he won't win this argument. "Fine, he'll live."

"If he doesn't live through this, I'm suing you." Lucy walked away, leaving the doctor close to pulling out his hair.

Once the doctor left, I felt like a weight had been lifted off my chest. Cole's going to be alright. He has to be.

Just need his body to accept Ben's heart. Cole's a flexible person. He isn't picky. Let's hope his body isn't picky.

I rested my head back on Ashton's shoulder, this time, I had a small smile on.

"Everything is going to be alright." I whispered, repeating Ashton's words.

I felt his lips press a soft kiss on too of my head. "Yes, it is." He mumbled.

•••

I walked through the forest full of giant trees. Soft soil seeped through the spacings between my toes. I slowly picked my way through fallen logs and trees standing in my way.

Then I reached a very small clearing. I saw a very familiar woman standing on the other side.

Mother.

"Mom?" I called hesitantly.

She looked up and smiled softly. My mother looked like me, except that she face was more aged. Her eyes were identical to mine and her hair, like mine.