Chapter 23: Dinner

Riley's POV

"Do I really have to have makeup on?"

"Yes! You have to look good in front of your soon-to-be boyfriend's family." Lucy said as she applied mascara. She made sure that my makeup was light but enchanted my features.

Then, she straightened my hair with the ends curling slightly. She then handed me my clothes and I went to the bathroom to change into them.

Once I came out, a bright light blinded me. I blinked a few times to get rid of the dots swimming around my vision.

Then I saw everyone standing in Lucy's room. Spencer had the camera in his hands and he was smiling at me. His eyes looked glassy.

I looked at everyone confused. "What're you guys doing?"

"Oh you know, our nonbiological sister is going on her first date." Cole said but then corrected himself when Spencer shot him a look, "I mean our nonbiological sister except for Spencer is going on her first date."

Spencer scowled at the word 'date', then came and gave me a hug. "If Mom saw you now, she'd be very proud." He whispered and in a louder voice said, "It's not a date."

I smiled, "Thanks."

"Ready to go Riley?" Cole asked, holding up the car keys.

"Yup."

"Wait!" Lucy called, "I have to tell Riley something." I looked at her in confusion. What would she want to tell me?

She lead me out of earshot of the boys. "Yes?" I asked.

"I just wanted to say... don't get banged up." She blurted.

"Lucy!" I shot her a dirty look.

She burst out laughing. "I'm joking. I'm joking." She said wiping the nonexistent tears from her eyes before turning serious, "But seriously, don't. What I really wanted to say was, be yourself. That was what made me like - no love you. And you know I don't like just any girl."

She wasn't lying.

"You do know that Riley isn't leaving us, right?" Jared questioned. "I mean, it's only a family dinner."

"Yeah, but it's her first family dinner in many years!" Lucy snapped back.

"Two years," I muttered. "If including my mother's death, six."

We were in a deafening silence for a while. "We're your family now," Dennis said smiling softly, "Now I don't know about you, but I think lover boy is pacing around thinking you won't show up."

My eyes widened, "Come on Cole or we will be late!" I looked around for Cole but didn't see him.

"He told me all this stuff was too mushy for him, so he went to wait in the car." Jaimie called from Lucy's bed.

I snatched up my phone and left the room with a bunch of 'good luck's and 'don't get banged up's.

I got in the car, gave Cole Ashton's address and he began driving. "If he ever hurts you, we will be there. We are just a couple rooms away." Cole muttered.

"Thanks," I gave him a grateful smile. We pulled up at a huge mansion's driveway.

"Are you sure this is where he lives?" Cole asked.

"Yeah, he said he lives with a bunch of other people." I said gazing up at the four story home.

I thank Cole as I got out and before I closed the door, he called me. I looked at him expectantly.

"Don't get banged up," Was all he said before he rolled out of the driveway, leaving me with my mouth hanging open.

Why do they keep thinking that I'd sleep with someone so soon?