Chapter 38: 'Good' to See You

*Not Edited*

Riley's POV

I wasn't surprised when a pack member told me that there was many rouges at the south of the territory. Most wolves- including Ashton- left to go investigate.

Once I knew everyone else was either sleeping or watching tv, Ben and I snuck out the back without telling anyone.

We were silent when walking. When we heard something, we'd pause before continuing. I'd check my watch from time to time. Ben clutched the paper in his hand tightly.

"We can do this." I whispered encouragingly.

"I just hope everything goes well." Ben muttered. "We better speed things up before someone finds out and start looking for us."

We reached the north clearing and waited. I stuck close to Ben, waiting for something to jump out and eat me.

A rustling noise made me flinch and run behind Ben, who stood as a protective wall. A tall, lean figure emerged from the trees.

We waited in anticipation, holding our breaths.

"Hello, Ben, Riley. So good to see the both of you again."

"Paul." Ben nodded his head stiffly.

Paul's figure finally stepped into the moonlit patch of grass. He had a sinister smirk on and his eyes held mischief and evil. His dark hair styled into perfection, not a single strand out of place. His piercing grey eyes captured mine and it seemed like he could see right through me.

"Where's the girl?" Ben asked, maintaining his cool facade.

Paul clicked his tongue at Ben. "Always in such a rush, Benjamin." Then she shouted into the shadows, "Bring the girl out."

Two men emerged, carrying a body. The closer they came, the clearer the body was. It was Bridget.

My breath caught in my throat.

"Beautiful, isn't she?" Paul asked. "Too bad she's already scarred and bruised. Otherwise, she would've looked exactly like her beautiful cousin."

Bridget's face had purplish patches and she had dried blood stuck in her hair. She had tear stains on her cheeks and her hair was choppy, telling me that he had to cut it herself. Cuts littered her bare arms and legs.

"Now that you have the girl," Paul said with a malicious look in his eyes, "Give Riley to me. Remember, a fair trade. Just like the plan."

"You can do this." Ben said gently squeezing my shoulder.

I felt like crying. I don't want to leave. I don't want to leave my family behind to stay with this sicko.

I turned to Ben and quickly gave him a tight hug. "I hope I see you soon." I whispered.

"You know that I'd have to tell them the truth. We'll find you." Ben said returning the hug.

"Riley. I'm waiting." Paul said. I reluctantly walked towards Paul and his two cronies.

"Riley!"

My head whipped around and I saw a sight that tore my heart into pieces.

Ashton, and everyone I knew stood behind me. I had a twinge of hope that they could kill Paul and I didn't have to follow him, but date wasn't on my side. More rouges and hunters appeared, clearly outnumbering us.

There were many different expressions on people's faces.

Ashton's face was one of crushed hope. "Wh-what are you doing? That's Paul!"