Chapter 32

Three days later, Melissa’s funeral took place. They set her body on fire and we watched as the ashes got carried away by the wind.

Death is not something that bothers usually. In fact, I love death. It’s the natural order of things. However first with Logan and now Melissa, death is starting to become my enemy instead of my friend.

I loved Logan. When he died, that was the first time that I had ever cried over someone dying. I didn’t know Melissa all that well, but she was such a people person. She made me feel welcomed in Blood Moon when no one else did. In such a short amount of time, she became my little sister. 

I’m not fond of girls. Frankly, they are mostly catty bitches. So, I have never had a real girl my age that was my friend. Melissa was different though. 

Her death is hitting me really hard. 

It’s a hundred times worse for Ryder. He blames himself. The first day, he locked himself in our room. He wouldn’t even let me talk to him.

Even as he watched her ashes fly away, he had tears running down his face and still wouldn’t speak a word.

Jason is no longer a threat, but it isn’t over for us. 

Our happily ever after feels out of reach. 

The whole pack lost its spark of life. Everyone is moping around, wondering when the seventeen packs are going to come by and kill us all. Ryder is in no condition to help with training. I haven’t even seen Jay since the fight. He didn’t come to Melissa’s funeral.

*

“Ryder.” I knocked on the door for the seventh time in one hour. “You can’t just sit around and do nothing. We need a plan. This is selfish. People are going to die, and you locked yourself in your room. Melissa wouldn’t wan-”

The door swung open violently. “Don’t tell me what Melissa would want.” He growled. 

“I miss her too. The whole pack misses her, Ryder. You are her brother. You need to mourn, but as an Alpha sometimes you don’t get that luxury.” I rested my hand on his forearm. 

“I’ve been thinking,” He started quietly. “This isn’t fair to the pack. I refuse to lead them to their deaths. Maybe we should leave. They wont attack if we’re not here.”

“Leave? Ryder doesn’t that sound like the easy way out?” 

“It’s not easy to leave my home. Abandoning my pack is not something that I take lightly. It’s not the easy way out. It’s the safe way, not for us but for them. We’ll be on the run for the rest of our lives.” He pulled me into our room and closed the door.

“How do we know that they’ll listen? How do we know that they wont just start attacking as soon as they see a wolf?” To be honest, I wanted to fight. I should say that I don’t want to leave, but to be honest, Blood Moon means nothing to me.

“We stay, they get slaughtered along with us. We leave, they have a chance. We’re not going to just run into the freaking sunset. They’ll try hunting us down.” 

Ryder was serious. I know that there is no way to win this fight. I’m not stupid. Two hundred against over three thousand is not a bet that I’d ever willingly take, but it’s cowardly to run. I’m going to die eventually. Everyone does. I’d rather drag as many of the enemy to hell with me than to die from old age.

“Baby,” He grabbed my hands in his. “This is what we have to do.” He leaned forward and kissed me on the nose. 

I sighed but reached under the bed and pulled out a duffle bag. “Call Jay. We need to at least tell him.”