Prologue

I'm a disgrace.

My bloodline is that of an Alpha's, but I am passive. Weak.

Being the Alpha's daughter, I'm supposed to be strong. I have the blood of the Blood Moon's Alpha running through my veins. I should be strutting the school hallways like I own them because in a way, I kind of do, yet I'd much rather keep my head down.

It is like I am invisible. No one from the pack will even look at me, nevertheless talk to me or try to be friends. I should use my Alpha voice on them and demand their respect, that is what anyone in a position of power is expected to do, but I don't. I just exist in my own little bubble of exclusion.

I know it is my fault, but I cannot bring myself to assert myself as a leader.

Why can't I just be normal?

"Mikayla Davis?"

"Here." I raised my hand. My voice cracked slightly from not using it for a couple hours.

"Mikayla Davis?" The teacher repeated.

I don't know why, but my inner wolf growled. "I said here!" The class went silent. I never speak up.

My wolf started pacing in my mind. Uh oh.

A quick change in a wolf's behavior could only mean one thing: she can sense my mate. I couldn't smell him or anything. He definitely was not in the room, but he was way too close for comfort.

"Jarvis River?" The teacher continued taking attendance like nothing happened. I was thankful for that. Everyone in our town is a werewolf. Many of my classmates were staring at me with knowing looks. I shifted uncomfortably.

I don't want a mate. At least not yet. I'm only fifteen. I'm a freshman in high school. I'm not ready to meet the wolf that I'll marry, the father of my future pups. That's way too much.

Not to mention that he would be disappointed when he sees me.

I'd be disappointed to get myself as a mate too.

No, no, no. My inner wolf protested. He will love and cherish us. Together we will be stronger.

Maybe she's right. Maybe he will help me assert myself more in the pack. Either way, I wish he would stay away for at least five more years or so.

My brother, Jay, walked into class late. The teacher didn't give him detention.

Not even close. The teacher bowed his head to the Alpha's son.

He doesn't bow his head to me, I thought bitterly.

Jay didn't have enough Alpha Blood in him to be Alpha. He simply isn't dominate enough to rule. However, he will be our Beta. I won't be Alpha either because I am a girl. Sexist, I know.

Ryder Ryan stumbled into our territory when he was seven. His pack was slaughtered by lawless rogues. Conveniently, he is has enough Alpha blood to lead. My father took it as a sign and let them stay. He'll be the Alpha once Father retires.

My twin brother, Jay, and I's relationship is complicated. We were really close when we were younger, but we drifted apart when he started his Beta training. Then once Ryder started his Alpha training, the last of our friendship fell apart. They became friends and began hanging out after training. Long story short, hanging out with his twin, wasn't cool anymore. So, future Alpha Ryder Ryan, replaced me as his best friend.

I can't help but to blame him for stealing my brother from me.

Walking through the hallways I kept my head down and didn't make eye contact with anyone. I usually don't anyway, but today I was being extra careful. Eye contact is one of the ways that you find your mate. Sure, my wolf was going crazy, but the bond does not start to form until you make eye contact.