Chapter Forty Four

THIS CHAPTER does not FOLLOW THE TIMELINE OF CHAPTERS 1-25!
READ NO FURTHER!
_______________________________________________

Lord Baelish knew he was being followed. He'd be a fool if he didn't. The youngest Stark girl was good at hiding, but he just happened to be able to tell when someone was around him and didn't want to be seen. Which was why he did what he did while she was training.

She couldn't very well follow him if she was training, now could she? The man he spoke too was nervous and needed extra convincing. However, Lord Baelish knew how to work with someone like him. Someone desperate enough to do anything to ensure he survived.

It was risky, he knew, but how else was he going to take care of his current problem? Sure, he'll be suspected, but Lord Baelish was confident he could talk himself out of it. Besides, they could never know for certain it was him anyway.

The man was instructed to wait until nightfall. Lord Baelish made sure to be very specific so that there wouldn't be room for error. Failure was not an option in this regard.

And if Lord Baelish's suspicions were correct, then it was one less problem to deal with later on. Though, to keep face and to ensure no one knew of the plan he had set in motion, Lord Baelish was seen at meetings and giving advice.

Only Bran knew what was going to happen that night, and while he wanted to stop it, to warn someone about it, he couldn't. It had to happen, it would further his sister's plans. He had already seen the outcome, so he knew it'd be okay.

~

He had reservations about doing this. Honestly, if he didn't need the money as much as he did, he wouldn't have agreed. He'd be damned for this, but he needed the money to help him survive. This winter was unlike the ones they had, so he knew he would need to be prepared. He had weaknesses, and of course, they would be exploited in order for him to be convinced that this was the only way. Desperate people sometimes do unfortunate things.

And he was desperate.

As quiet as he could, he made his way through the halls and into the courtyard before going up the stairs to the rooms. Luckily, for him, not many people were around. As he was told, they were in their own rooms or somewhere else.

Either way, it made this a little easier. All he had to do was remember the right door. Shouldn't be too, hard, though, he was given a very good description. He was told there'd always be a candle lit in the room to ensure it wasn't too dark. As he walked closer to the door, he could see the faint glow.

The man took a deep breath, praying to the gods for forgiveness, however undeserving he may be. This could go one of two ways, and while he hated to think of it, the thought just wouldn't go away.

Better them than him.

~

Idan helped Mykal out of his jerkin, the boy's little fingers had been unable to untie the laces. "How about tomorrow, we work on helping you lace and unlace this yourself?" Idan suggested. While he didn't mind helping the boy, Idan wanted him to be able to do these things himself.

"Alright," Mykal nodded. Since coming to Winterfell, Mykal and Ethon had received an even better education. Considering Maester Wolkin was happy to help, and didn't have much to do anyway, he taught the boys the same things all the other Lords would learn.

The man enjoyed teaching the boys, as he had never taught commoners before. He even enjoyed teaching Idan. The man provided interesting stories and told him all about living the common life. All that he learned, Maester Wolkin would relay the information before all the nobility.