Chapter Thirty Four

They didn't stop often while they were on the road. It was much too dangerous to risk that, however, there were times during the night where they had no choice. During one of their rare stops, they took reprieve at an inn. While most of the time they road in the caravan, it was still tiring to be in a wooden box for so long.

With their change in clothes and their red hair covered in black pigment, it was doubtful many would recognize them unless they knew them and their faces. Having some proper food would do wonders to boost their moods, as the food they had while tasting fine, was no match for a warm stew.

The chance to stretch her legs was also nice, though her back thanked her for the break and the movement. Perhaps during one of their nightly stops, Anari would take a moment to do one of her drills. Her body was stiffening up a bit, and she didn't want that to happen.

Upon entering the inn, Anari saw that a section had been cleared out and guards were posted so that they would be undisturbed. The last time Anari had been to an inn was during her travels on the King's Road. It felt like a lifetime ago, being with her father and sisters. Had Anari known what she did now, she would have pleaded with her father to take them and turn them around the night of the trial.

It was a precursor for worse to come, all of them should have seen those signs then. Now, though, it was much too late. Her father was gone, her sister was missing or dead, and the rest of her family was betrayed and murdered. Anari only had Sansa, and the babe she carried within.

Covertly pressing her hand over her abdomen, Anari began walking to where they were to be seated, whereupon Lord Baelish instructed the girls to sit on the side that shielded them from view.

Sansa sat closest to the window while Anari sat on the end. Should anything go wrong, Anari wanted to be able to move quickly. The seats of the caravan, while cushioned, were not very comfortable for long, so the brief change to move her legs was refreshing. Perhaps, Anari would find a way to convince Lord Baelish to take a walk. She wouldn't mind having guards with her as she did so as a precaution, so perhaps he would be willing to allow them to remain for a little longer in order for her to do so. Ordering some warm stew and some bread from one of the servers, Anari allowed herself to relax a little.

She had been very tense during the entire trip, and while she was still on her guard, Anari knew she needed to relax a bit. As much as she wanted to plan ahead and do many different things, she knew the best thing for her own wellbeing was to settle down a bit.

Once the food arrived, Anari wasted no time in digging into her meal. While she still kept the decorum of a lady, she still very much enjoyed her food. The warm stew was exactly what she had needed, and the crisp bread soothed her. As for her drink, Anari stuck with water. Sansa was almost as hungry as her sister, as she focused more on her meal than anything else.

Lord Baelish watched the girls with a small smirk. He knew that the journey was taking a lot out of them, they weren't used to such travels, after all. Their table was silent as everyone ate and enjoyed their meal. However, as she finished the last few bits of her stew, Anari's mind went back to what she had seen when they left Lord Royce's Keep.

"You were given a scroll," Anari said after she took a sip of her water. Lord Baelish glanced at her, a curious glint in his eyes. "Before we left Lord Royce's Keep, a squire handed you a raven scroll." She clarified.

A small smirk came to his lips as he nodded faintly. "You're becoming quite an observant young lady," He praised.

Anari had always been observant; she just knew when to hide her curiosities and when to voice them. "Our mother used to say 'dark wings, dark words'," Sansa spoke, glancing at Lord Baelish as well. She had seen the scroll being given to him; she just wasn't sure if she should have questioned it.