Chapter Ten

That night, Anari slipped from her chambers to speak to Sansa. The entire situation didn't sit well with her, and she wanted to find answers. Anari knew that the only way to do that would be to speak with her father. However, she was no fool, Anari knew that no one would allow her to see him.

So, Anari had a plan. She could only hope that Sansa would be willing to do her part. Once at her sister's door, Anari knocked a few times before she was allowed entry. Sansa had been getting ready for bed when Anari knocked, so she was quick to slip on her robe before allowing her sister entry.

"What is it?" Sansa questioned.

"I have an idea in mind for how we can get more answers," Anari began. "This entire situation doesn't sit well with me. I do not believe for one moment that father wants the throne." She continued as she watched as Sansa frowned. "If father wanted the throne all along, he could have taken it once the Mad King fell, but he didn't. What does that tell you?"

"That he didn't want it," Sansa replied.

"Exactly,"

"But... he could have changed his mind," Sansa tried.

Anari gave her sister a look in return. "Why would father want to be King of the Seven Kingdoms?" She questioned. "Robert was his best friend, why would he all of a sudden betray him like that? If father truly wanted the throne, then why would he be so adamant about sending us home? It makes no sense."

Sansa thought about Anari's words, and she knew that her sister was right. Ned wanted absolutely nothing to do with the throne, so why would he be trying to steal it as Cersei claimed?

"The Queen and the others won't give us answers," Anari began. "They'll tell us lies or they'll change the topic. The only way we'll know what is going on is if I speak to father."

"How will you do that?" Sansa asked. "He's been placed in the cells."

"I'll need you to distract them," Anari replied. "Beg Joffrey for mercy on our father, keep them talking while I head down to the cells." It was simple really, and she hoped Sansa would go along with it so she could get the answers she needed.

If she was going to protect them, then she needed to know everything. Thankfully, Sansa agreed, as she too, wanted their father freed. With their plan in motion, the sisters went their separate ways to get some rest.

~

In the morn, Anari ordered for some food to be brought to her chambers. Once the servants left, Anari took a few loaves of the bread and a skin of water. Tying a cloth around her waist, Anari placed the bread and an apple into it before securing the water skin around her neck.

As planned, Sansa went to court to distract Joffrey and the Queen. This gave Anari some time to sneak down into the dungeons and into the cells. She was careful about it, using the training she had learned from Syrio to be swift and sudden.

It was difficult to see once she got down into the cells. However, it also meant that she'd have less of a chance to be caught. As she crept down the long hall, Anari managed to see her father sitting on the ground. There was a torch near him, so she was able to see him clearly.

Pausing though, Anari frowned as a guard walked by and kicked Ned to keep him away. Her father did not look good, he looked tired and he looked like he could use something to drink. It was difficult to see her father in such a state, however, she moved closer anyway.

Ned's eyes were closed as Anari approached, so he didn't see her coming. Unable to help it, Anari crouched down and reach towards him to gently touch his face. Ned flinched at the contact, his eyes opening as he blinked.