Chapter Twenty Six

It didn't make much sense at first, seeing that Lord Baelish had more to lose than gain by being the one to rescue them. Anari's mind still hadn't quite caught up with everything, as she was still feeling the near devastating loss it was to leave Tyrion behind. For now, Anari knew she would have to wait before her curiosities were placated.

"Are you hurt, my ladies?" Lord Baelish questioned them. Sansa shook her head in response which earned a small smile from him. "Good, I'm sure you both had quite the scare, but rest easy now." As he spoke, Anari pulled away slightly as he leaned too close to her face. "The worst is past."

"Lord Baelish," Ser Dontos called from the boat below. "I promised I'd get them to you safely."

"Softly, my friend," Lord Baelish said quietly as he leaned over the edge to speak to him. "Voices carry over water."

"I should get back before someone thinks to look for me," Ser Dontos smiled faintly. He was glad everything seemed to work out alright, and that the girls were out of King's Landing.

"First you'll want your pay," Lord Baelish reminded. Ser Dontos nodded in return which caused Anari and Sansa to look at each other in confusion. Ser Dontos was paid to help them? Sansa thought he was helping them because she had saved his life, not for money. "Ten thousand, was it?"

"Ten thousand," Ser Dontos agreed. Lord Baelish nodded and snapped his fingers. Though, in place of men with a sack of gold, two men with loaded crossbows came forward. "Wait!' He cried, however, it was too late as he was pierced by the arrows.

Upon seeing him die, Sansa couldn't help the startled scream that tore from her throat. In an instant, Lord Baelish pulled her away while covering her mouth. "You don't want the Queen to hear, do you?" Lord Baelish questioned. Sansa shook her head in return, so he let her go. Quickly, Sansa turned to embrace her sister. "A thousand Gold Cloaks are looking for you, and if they found you, how do you think they'd punish the girls who murdered the King?"

"We didn't murder anyone," Anari replied, shaking her head. Joffrey's death had nothing to do with them. However, Anari realized that Lord Baelish had to have had something to do with Joffrey's death, considering he spoke as if he was there and knew the boy was dead.

"I know," Lord Baelish agreed. "But, you must admit; it looks suspicious. The King who executed your father, who tormented you both for years; and you fled the scene of his murder." From where she stood, Sansa could still see the boat Ser Dontos laid on.

"Why did you kill him?" She questioned.

"Because he was a drunk and a fool," Lord Baelish replied. "I don't trust drunken fools."

"But, he saved us," Sansa argued back softly.

"Saved you?" Lord Baelish scoffed lightly. "My ladies, he followed my orders, each and every one of them," walking closer, he looked down at Ser Dontos' body. "He did it all for gold, money can buy a man's silence for a time, but a bolt to the heart buys it forever."

"He was helping us because I saved his life," Sansa disagreed. She was starting to believe that there weren't very many good people in the world. It was becoming apparent that there were very few people who were just, fair, and honorable simply for the sake of being so. The only people she's met have all had plots and plans for their own selfish gain.

So many people just want to use others to get what they wanted. Everyone wanted something, and everyone was willing to go to great lengths to get it. "Yes," Lord Baelish agreed as he looked at her. "And he gave you a priceless neckless that once belonged to his grandmother." Leaning over, he undid the necklace that sat around Sansa's neck. "The last legacy of House Hollard," removing a small dagger from his belt, Lord Baelish used the hilt to break one of the gems. "I had it made a few weeks ago."