Chapter Fourteen

Hiding within a small hovel, Marleya held her hand to her mouth to keep her breathing quiet. Ever since she heard the beginnings of an attack, she had done her best to hide her brothers and sisters. Especially the little ones. Through the thinnest sliver between the door and the wall, Marleya was just barely able to see out.

So long as she remained quiet, she hoped that whoever was invading would pass her by. At sixteen now, the young girl knew a thing or two. When she had returned to Deepwood Motte after being dismissed from Anari's service, Marleya was put to work in the kitchens.

At Anari's request, Marleya wasn't punished for being let go, considering her Lady had said she would request that she be returned into her service. However, with how things were going, Marleya doubted she would be summoned back.

Not with the war going on and whatever transpired within King's Landing. In a way, Marleya was glad not to be involved. However, she missed Anari terribly, as she had been so kind to her. Marleya couldn't see well enough to be able to distinguish who it was that was attacking them, now.

Not daring to risk opening the door a little further, Marleya kept silent. She prayed to the gods that this would be over soon and that the invaders would leave. Clutched in her hand was a small kitchen knife, it wouldn't help her much, but having it made the girl feel better.

As Yara and her men began to secure Deepwood Motte, very faint movement caught her eye. Glancing around, she saw nothing but a closed hovel. However, upon looking at it, she realized it was opened just a crack, and that there was movement coming from inside.

Walking over to the little door, Yara yanked it open. Marleya let out a surprised yelp at the action, looking up fearfully at the woman. Though, feeling brave, Marleya used the woman's slight surprise to her advantage and gripped the small knife tighter as she swung up.

While Yara was surprised, her reflexes were quick as she caught the girl's attack. Grabbing onto her wrists with her left hand, Yara yanked the knife from her with her right. "A fighter, are you?" She questioned. Weaponless, Marleya shook her head.

"Please, I work in the kitchens," she pleaded. "Let me go, I won't do anything, I promise." Yara gave the girl a considering look, not responding.

~

Upon reentering the tent, Robb looked to his mother. "Tell me this isn't true," he pleaded. Catelyn didn't answer verbally as she looked at him. Robb didn't need her words to know that it was true. "Why?"

"For the girls," Catelyn answered.

"You betrayed me," Robb frowned, shaking his head.

"Robb," Catelyn began as she stood to be next to him. However, Robb shook off her attempts.

"No!" He replied. "You knew I would not allow it and you did it anyway."

"Bran and Rickon are captives in Winterfell," Catelyn reasoned. "Anari, Sansa, and Arya are captives in King's Landing. I have six children, and only one of them is free."

Lord Karstark entered the tent shortly after Catelyn tried to explain herself. "I lost one son fighting by your son's side," he said. "I lost another to the Kingslayer, strangled with a chain," he spat. "You commit treason because your children are prisoners? I would carve out my heart and offer it to the father if we would let my sons wake from their graves and step into a prison cell."

"I grieve for your sons, my Lord," Catelyn replied calmly.

"I don't want your grief," Lord Karstark scoffed. "I want my vengeance, and you stole it from me."

"Killing Jaime Lannister would not buy life for your children," Catelyn replied. "But returning him to King's Landing may buy life for mine." She just wanted her daughters back, she could feel that something awful was going to happen, and she just wanted them safe.