Chapter Seven

Her eyes widened as her entire body stiffened. Seven hells, Anari couldn't be caught with a sword, least of all by someone who is not family. However, she kept her composure despite her initial shock. "Lord Baelish," she greeted, her voice surprisingly even despite the flicker of fear that coursed through her.

"Forgive me, I should have knocked," Lord Baelish replied, bowing his head lightly. He left the door open slightly as he walked further into the room. Lord Baelish eyed the blade in her hands but didn't comment on it. There was a reason he sought her out, once more, his clever mind worked to see how he could use her. So far, everything was starting to fall into place. All he needed to do was to wait for the right moment.

For now, Lord Baelish was going to keep up his ruse and continue his pursuit of Anari's favor. Though he kept his face neutral, so it was difficult for Anari to read what he was thinking. Backing away as he came closer, Anari turned towards where the scabbard of her sword sat.

"I hear that you and your sisters are leaving," he said. Anari dared not turn her back to him as she reached the leather. She had just been warned not to trust anyone, so she wasn't about to make the mistake of turning her back on someone she hardly knew. So, she stood at an angle, keeping him in her peripherals.

"Yes," she answered as she sheathed the blade and set it down. She once more covered it in the grey cloth before turning back to Lord Baelish. "My father wishes for us to return back to Winterfell." She gauged his reaction, wondering why he was here to see her. While they spoke those few times, she didn't understand why he sought her out at this very moment.

"A fine blade you have," he observed.

"Thank you," Anari smiled politely. She could tell he wanted to know where she got it, but Anari didn't feel the need to tell him. "What can I do for you, Lord Baelish?" She questioned. He paused for a moment, his lips twitching in a faint smirk.

"Would you care to walk with me, my Lady?" He questioned in return. Anari hesitated for a moment, and it must have shown in her eyes. "If it is true that you are leaving, I'd like to spend a few more moments in your company." He smiled. "Please," he added.

Not wanting to seem rude, Anari agreed. "Very well, my Lord," with that, Anari took his offered arm and the two left her chambers. It was silent, for a while, as Lord Baelish lead Anari to the garden area. Though, soon enough, Lord Baelish began the conversation. The last time they spoke mostly about books and about the kinds of things Anari was interested in. Lord Baelish told her a little about himself, though chose to leave out a few details or changed things around.

As they walked, Anari noticed a few people staring at them and watched as a few people whispered. It made her uncomfortable because she didn't want rumors being spread about her. Knowing that she was eligible for marriage, she thought that perhaps people would assume that Lord Baelish was trying to win her affections somehow, or be trying to court her.

She hardly knew the man, and Anari doubted her father would allow someone to try to win her affections or try to court her without speaking to both of them first. Seeming to notice her discomfort with the attention the pair was receiving, Lord Baelish patted her hand with his free one. "Don't worry about them and their words," he advised. "One must learn to ignore the gossip that is spread about them, however hard it may be."

It was sound advice, one Anari took into consideration. He was right; she shouldn't worry about what was being said about her. Anari never sought out the approval of others before, so she shouldn't concern herself with it now. "Has there been any gossip about me?" Anari questioned in curiosity.

"If you want to know, I'm not the right man to ask," he replied. "I'd ask Lord Varys if I were you, he's the spymaster around here." While Lord Baelish had spies of his own, he wasn't nearly as well connected as Varys seemed to be. Though, Lord Baelish did hear quite a few things said about the girl next to him.