Chapter Twenty One

As Shae stood by the water, she let out a small sigh. It seemed just when things were beginning to settle, something else had to happen. Ever since finding out about her family's murder, Anari and Sansa hadn't been the same. It was difficult for Shae to see such a strong young woman like Anari, begin to fade with grief.

Standing by the water gave Shae a moment to think in peace. However, that peace didn't last long as she soon found that she wasn't alone. It was silent for a moment as Varys approaches her. "You've been a good influence on our mutual friend, you know," he began. "He used to drink from sundown and sunup, visit three brothels a night, and gamble away his father's money. Now it's just the drinking."

"And now I'm his wife's servant," Shae replied. "I brush her hair, clip her nails, and empty her chamber pot. Meanwhile, they make each other laugh and smile, and she helps keep him sober by talking to him."

"She is a sweet young thing," Varys defended. "While she was the one who traded places with Sansa, none of this is Anari's fault."

"I love that girl," Shae stated. She truly did, she cared about Anari, she only wanted to see her happy. "I would kill for her; do you think that makes it easier for me?"

"No, I expect not," Varys replied.

"She's young and she's beautiful and highborn," Shae listed.

"We break bread with them, but that doesn't make us family," Varys agreed. "We've learned their language, but we'll never be their countrymen. If you let yourself believe that a foreign girl with no name could spend her life with the son of Tywin Lannister-"

"I have a name," Shae interrupted, her eyes narrowed.

"You have one name, as do I," Varys replied. "Here only the family name matters."

"What do you want from me, Lord Varys?" Shae questioned. Varys handed her a bag of diamonds and explained how she could sail back to Essos and live a more comfortable life, a safe life. "Why do you want me to leave?"

"Tyrion Lannister is one of the few people alive who could make this country a better place," Varys explained. "He has the mind for it, he has the will, and he has the right last name. And you, you are a complication. I know you love him, and I know its true love not bought by gold or silver. I'm not asking you to leave him for money, I'm asking you to leave because your presence in the capital endangers him. This will never be your home, my Lady. Fine a true home somewhere far from here while there's still time."

Tyrion was already distracted enough being married to Anari. Varys could plainly see that the two were very fond of one another, and with the recent death of Robb and Catelyn Stark, Varys knew that Tyrion would be busy trying to provide comfort to the girl.

Anari was also one of the people he spoke about in terms of making Westeros a better place. Varys could see the potential in the girl, and if Shae was there, she would also complicate things further. It wasn't Shae's fault that she fell in love with Tyrion.

However, Varys could see it being a problem. Shae was in love with Tyrion and she greatly cared for Anari. With Anari and Tyrion being married and so openly happy with one another, Varys knew it would only lead to disaster if left alone.

Unfortunately, his attempts to save Shae were in vain as she threw the bag at his feet and left him.

~

During the days that followed Robb and Catelyn's deaths, Anari and Sansa found comfort in one another. They often recalled happy memories with their family and Sansa would weep in her sister's arms. Anari still didn't show Sansa her true feelings, but Sansa could tell that Anari was hurting.