Chapter Seventeen

"Huh," Lord Varys hummed as he leaned back in his seat. "Prodigies appear in the oddest of places," he mused as he regarded Ros. "And what did Littlefinger say about this loss of income?"

"He was too preoccupied to notice," Ros replied. "He's leaving for the Eyrie soon; I'm helping him prepare for his journey."

"Ah, yes," he hummed again. "To pursue his enduring love of the Lady Arryn and the title that comes with her. Sad, really," he mused. "Is that all it takes to make our friend lose interest in poor Anari Stark and her sister?"

"He hasn't spoken to her since the last time, as far as I know," Ros replied. "But I don't think he's lost interest." She smirked. It felt good, to be doing something noble for a change. Working with Varys was much better than working for Littlefinger, she felt more useful.

Varys seemed to appreciate her more than Lord Baelish or any other man ever did. While Ros was considered low born scum too many, especially given the profession she used to partake in, she wasn't cruel. She wasn't as vile as people claimed, as she never wanted to see anyone truly hurt unless they deserved it.

The Stark girls did not deserve what has been happening to them.

"What makes you say so?" Varys questioned.

"His shipboard inventory," Ros took out a scroll and handed it to him. Varys took it wordlessly and opened it.

"Ah, you can read," he stated in surprise. "Rare for a woman in your profession." He didn't mean for his words to be a slight, and it seemed that Ros didn't take it as one as she smiled.

"Former profession," she corrected lightly.

"Of course," Varys smiled back as he examined the inventory. However, he didn't see anything out of place which caused him to look up again. "I'm missing something obvious your about to point out?" He questioned.

"Three feather bed," Ros replied. "He's bringing three feather beds for the cabin."

Varys suddenly caught on to what she was saying. "Who is important enough for Littlefinger to merit a featherbed besides Littlefinger?" He questioned. "Could he be bringing two of his girls?"

"He's not interested in them, my Lord," Ros replied, shaking her head.

"How do you know?" He didn't think so either, but he wanted to be sure before he did anything with this information. Varys didn't want to be wrong and assume, as it could prove dangerous should he be. He wanted to help the girls, especially after Anari had sought him out.

She had proven to not only be intelligent but also clever. She knew better than to go at this game alone, and truth be told, Anari was playing it rather well. "Because I'm one of his girls," Ros replied. Varys couldn't help but smirk as he looked at her with appreciation.

"Prodigies in odd places indeed," he smiled.

Later, after giving it some thought, he put together a plan of his own. Once he was sure of himself, Varys sought out Lady Olenna with his proposal. After a small bout of banter, Varys walked a little closer to where Olenna sat.

"Might I sit?" He questioned.

"No," Olenna replied, causing him to pause. "Come, I've heard you're such a clever man. I'm curious why you've sought me out."

"You've taken an interest in Anari Stark," Varys replied.

"Have I?" She questioned. "Because I spoke to her and her sister once in this garden and one of your little spies came running to tell you? Why shouldn't I take an interest? She's an interesting girl."