Chapter 27: (Epilogue)

A few years later...

Adam's POV:

'I can't sleep' She whispered, crawling into bed with me. Then I wake up cold, clutching the green dress that she was buried in...

 They say the pain dulls with time, and that things will get better. But how can things be better when the reason the pain isn't as bad anymore, is because I've forgotten? Over time, the memory of your presence has escaped my mind. I no longer see your face in strangers, and the things we once shared no longer bring tears to my eyes. If getting past the pain means forgetting you, then I choose suffer my entire life. 

Your death is a pain I can't live with and I can't ignore.

Throughout my entire life, I've never felt the kind of pain I did when I saw the way you left me.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

And I see and feel her crawl into my nightmares.

She loiters around inside me whilst I helplessly try to shut her out, scratching and aching my every bone, she crawls around in my stomach and fires her red-tipped arrows at my heart. She pokes at my brain and plays with my mind. She whispers painful words inside my ears and bites at my tongue. She climbs up my spine, crushing my bones with her unbearable, unbeatable strength, demanding to be felt. She's the type of person to knock on your door and even when you so nervously refuse hers company and say there is no room for her to stay, she will tell you not to worry because the game is not over yet, and that I'll soon become another thing to play with, but the only difference is to me she is not human. She is an emotion and I call her pain.  

She is the monster that you fear is hiding under your bed at night, when really, she is the real monster living inside my head.

And I can't get her out.

She may have died, but now she's in my mind, playing with it. 

Setting the memories alight.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

 As he knelt in the freshly dug earth, bags carrying his eyes, eyes drowning in his own tears, roses clasped in his hands, memories ransacked his mind. Tormented with what could have been and what should have been, words and regrets taunted him with a savage intensity. The images were so crystal clear, it was like living with her ghost. How he longed to curl up in that rich loam soil and ebb into an eternal slumber, to be close to her forever more.  

To be with her forever...

That seemed like a long way away.

***********************************************************************************************

Today is May 14th. Danielle and Ashton's 4th birthday. The day that I saved them, The day that I called them my own.