Chapter 16: Illusions

Daryl's POV:

The skin from her toe. all the way to her shins are a painful, flaming red, blood spurts from her broken nails and the flesh looking like it has been torn apart and boiled. The acid grabbed her and looks like it ripped her apart. 

I can feel and hear her whimpering from the torture as once again, I carry her in my arms. Nothing but sympathy pours out from me for her. She didn't have to do this. It's all my fault.

Maybe I shouldn't have done it...

The hope that I will win the Games and kill Ma-Ma is the only thing that's keeping me going.

'Daryl?'

'Yeah?..'

'Did...Did we win?'

'Yeah, yeah we did, Ash..'

'Sure doesn't feel like it.' The words cut me deep as she says them with a chocked groan as my arms and shoulders throb from exhaustion. I completely forget about my gunshot wounds searing in agony but that's not what's bothering me right now.

<><><><>

The double doors slowly open as I step into the unknown territory.

'Floor 5-Illusions' 

Suddenly, I feel like a weight has been lifted off of me. I look down and see that my hands hold nothing. Ash is no longer in my arms. She's been taken away from me.

But before I can call her name, I see Ash a few feet from me, lying on the floor.

'Ash? Ashley!'

She looks up at me with fatigue bathing in her eyes. Fear blotched on her face.

'Daryl?' Her voice is hardly a whisper.

I try to move but before I could take another step, a giant glass tube rises from the ground, encasing me once again. In fury, I start banging on the glass, hating that familiar feeling of being trapped, in something I can't escape.

A feeling I have lived with my entire life.

I look around me, thinking I'll find a little blade wedged into a corner or something, but It is so much more worse. This time, When I look up, thousands of spikes are attached to the top, glinting under the silvery light. SHIT!

'Task-Not everything is as it seems...'

<><><><><><><><><><> 

Ashley's POV:

The pain. The pain. It hasn't left. I know it will never leave. Clutching onto my dead flesh for dear life. The throbbing. The burning. The scalding. The torture. The suffering. All becoming a part of me now.

But before I could complain anymore, a giant tray of about 10 knives rises from the ground, dazzling under the greyish light. Ready to plunge into its first victims.

F-F-Floor 4. Il-lusions. Oh god. I remember. This was the first game to be played and watched by 'The Innocent'. This game tests your ability of finding, remembering detail and identifying it. And having this ability means you'll be able to manipulate your way through life here in 13.

The 'Blade runner', (in this case, me) would have several holograms of the 'prey' (in this case, Daryl) appear before them/me. 10 will appear. Some are the exact copy of the person. Some.