The Masked Truth (Preview)

Hey, this is the first chapter of The Masked Truth, preview : )

Chapter One

Time deceives us time and time again. One minute you think you know where you stand, and the next minute you're trying to figure out when the time escaped you and what you supposedly did when it slipped through your fingers. Time is nasty, time is deceiving, but time will always be the answer to our problems.

"What will you miss the most?" I fidget in my seat as I try to get comfortable. Despite the questions being hurled at me, my brain can't seem to operate and formulate answers.

"My family," I say.

"Can you expand on that?" she questions. While the interviewer's smile looks pleasant, her voice seems strained and annoyed. Silly teenagers, she probably things. There's no place for people who can't answer simple questions.

"At first it was hard living away from my family, it felt like I'd been thrown into a swimming pool with strangers. But when you begin touring and learning the ins and outs of everything. You find a secondary source of comfort and you end up bonding with people. Despite going home, I'm going to miss my tour family," I explain.

"That sounds very sweet. A home away from home." She smiles nicely. "How will you deal without being around your boyfriend, Alex?"

"Adapt," I say, "and remember that goodbye isn't forever as long as there's tomorrow."

"Does that mean you'll be doing another tour sometime soon?" she asks.

Shrugging my shoulders, "Depends on your definition of soon. I want to finish school and then phase into the whole gig of music. I feel like this first tour was a taste of what's to come in the future."

"That sounds like a good plan. Do you have any last words for your fans?"

"Forever is how long you make it." The live audience begins clapping and so does the host. As the lights dim on the stage, I wave to them and wait for the stage manager to signal that I can leave the stage.

Today is the day that I get to go home. I'm excited to see my family, but dreading starting school tomorrow. Since the images leaked to the magazines a couple of weeks ago, the search and conspiracies for my identity has tripled and made it horrible to go anywhere and harder to squash rumours. It's silly how people believe everything you tell them. I'd always want a second opinion about things before I declare it true. But I'm not a news writer.

When I get off stage, Alex is standing behind stage with a bright smile on his face. He's become my supportive rock throughout the last couple of weeks. He's there to encourage me when I feel down and always waiting off stage with the biggest, brightest and happiest smile to make the vibe better.

People may not always understand the intentions that drive Alex, but I'd like to say I'm sort of figuring it out along the way.

"Where to next?" I ask.

"Secret." Alex winks.

"Secret?" I ask, "Does that mean I've finished for the day?"

"Almost." He shoves his hands in his pockets, "Ava has a good idea on how I can visit you in a couple of weeks."

"Really?" I perk up at this idea.

"She mentioned something, but you'd have to discuss it with her in private." Alex's eyes scan the room for peering eyes and ears.

"All good." I nod my head.

Alex wraps his arm around my waist and pulls me along with him. We walk away from the stage and back to the dressing room to gather my belongings. Once I have everything packed up, Archer directs us to the exit and the waiting car.

"I want to take you somewhere special before you leave," Alex explains.

"Does this involve you blind folding me?" I ask.

"What?" He laughs, "Okay, I didn't mean to walk you into that pole – it clearly came out of nowhere!" Alex tries to defend himself. The last time Alex wanted to take me somewhere special, he insisted I cover my eyes so that I couldn't ruin the surprise. It was dark and he must have been distracted because I ended up with a bruise on my face.

"This surprise is going to be way better, do not worry my sweet Sienna," says Alex.

"Only because I'm too curious to say no." I poke his shoulder, "And besides, that candle lit dinner was beautiful and so sweet."

Alex and I get into the car and he whispers directions to Archer on where to drive. Sometime later through the crazy traffic, we arrive at his desired destination and a long piece of soft material is produced. I shake my head and accept the fact.

I turn away and let Alex tie the cloth around my head with the promise that Archer helps guide my journey. I don't particularly want to start school with a bruise on my face.

The car door opens and I slowly get out and hold onto both Archer and Alex's arms as we walk. This time I tune into my surroundings and hear the soft sound of water crashing. My suspicions are confirmed when the soft powdery sand slips inside of my shows.

I grin and continue to walk. The sand rubs against my feet uncomfortably, but the anticipation of what's to come distracts my mind from the pressing issue.

Without notice, the blind fold is taken off and my eyes go wide as I scan the environment with excitement. I find Alex standing in front of me with a smile.

"I know I don't have anything elaborate set up this time. But the fact is, I don't think we need fancy things, just each other and a beautiful place to be together." I look around and find we're at the beach.

I remember when Alex first took me to the beach after a long day of working in the studio. We ate food along the shoreline and connected over conversations that mattered to us. As a goodbye present, I'm flattered that we have the opportunity to revisit a place that means so much to Alex.

"Thank you," I say.

"I have a present for you." Alex holds out a jar filled with sand. I frown at the glass, but accept it.

"What's this?" As I look in the jar, it's a beautiful piece of artwork carefully done so that there's a beautiful pattern of shells and sand.

"It was a gift from my parents," he says, "When I left Australia, they wanted to buy me a present that would remind me of them. They got a jar and filled it with sand and shells from my favourite beach that I used to visit when I was little with my whole family."

"Alex." I try to give the jar back to him, but his hands close over the top of mine.

"I want you to have it, okay?" He smiles happily, "It might seem like the weirdest gift, but I hope it helps you in the many ways it's helped me. Don't forget where you came from or where you're going. We all start somewhere."

"I promise to take good care of this Alex." I nod my head, "and I won't forget."

"Sometimes I can't believe you chose me. Out of everyone, out of Nathan. He seemed like the obvious possibility. He's the gently, kind boy who cooks breakfast foods you love. He'd make you happy."

"Sometimes the most obvious things aren't. And that we think obvious was really off mark, Alex. Don't be discouraged and don't compare yourself to anyone. I know it's easier said than done, but trust me, I know." Alex doesn't reply, he steps forwards and wraps his arms around my body.

"What would I do without you?" Alex whispers into my ear.

"I don't know Alex, what would you?"

"Everything in my power."