[Chapter Twenty Six]

Chapter Twenty Six

The cold night air comes to a halt as Alex and I stand amount the green hedging. The leaves brush up against my skin which makes me want to scratch my skin off – but I don't want to start a commotion and draw their attention to us.

My feet sting and I can feel the skin breaking on the top of my toes, and I know there is going to be blisters forming on the back of my ankles tomorrow morning. This pain wouldn't be so bad if I could say my night was somewhat amazing and I could reflect back upon a magical moment.

But the cold harsh reality was; Alex and I are stuck hiding in a stupid bush from goodness know who – obviously a serial killer. Who else drives a giant black car that looks like they abduct people with chloroform?

"Why do I have this feeling that we are about to be abducted and held hostage?" I whisper to Alex.

"Just be quiet, they'll probably move along," he replies.

"I don't see them moving." I nervously begin to fiddle with my fingers while we wait to see what happens. So this is what it feels like to be the hunted pray. I hate it and I wish I owned a shot gun.

"Be quite," he hisses.

"But these leaves are making me itchy." I pout.

"Just be quiet Sienna, you're throwing our position away," he growls.

I jam my elbow into his side sharply, "Why are you acting like it's a war mission?"

"Just be quiet," Alex shouts into the silent air.

The engine to the car dies and the sound of the door opening follows after. Two skinny legs drop down to the pavement and my heart begins to race. But, considering their legs aren't thick with muscles, a part of me begins to calm down. I can always throw my shoes at them if something bad happens. These heavy blocks might break a bone or two – that's if I manage to actually hit something with my aim.

"Alex, I'm scared," I admit in a sheepish voice.

His hand grabs mine through the thick of the bush, and weaves his fingers through mine and then gently squeezes.

"We'll be fine," he promises.

"We're hiding in a bush," I whisper yell.

"Sienna!" he shouts at me.

The person slams the car door and then turns around to face us. Shoot.

Can I take the serial kidnapper? I want the kidnapper! Why can't it be the kidnapper?

"We're saved, it's just Nathan," Alex says in relief.

"I think I lost an, um, earring, don't wait up for me." I shove Alex through the bush and he stumbles into the open and crashes into Nathan. The two scream like girls as they collapse on the floor in a tangled mess on the pavement. I have to hold back the desire to buts out laughing at how the two react.

"Why were you hiding in the bush?" Nathan screams as he tries to scramble away from Alex like he's some kind of creepy spider trying to eat him – can't blame him either. It's not everyday kids 'jump' out of bushes in the middle of the night.

"We were getting chased by the paparazzi, so we decided to hide in the bushes until the coast became clear. Before we had a chance to move, you're creepy car shows up. Besides Nathan, what are you doing here?"

While Nathan brushes the dirt off of his clothes, he simply replies with, "Mitch said that he couldn't find you two, so he asked if I would help look. I decided I would get out on foot and see if I could scoop the place better." With one last flick of his hand, Nathan stands tall and finishes fixing his clothes.

"Thanks. I'll call Mitch and let him know you'll give us a lift to the hotel."

"Wait, who is the other person?" This is the part where my heart begins to beat so fast it's close to exploding out of my chest and becoming liquid residence on the sidewalk.

Slowly, I try to back away from the scene unfolding in front of me. But the rustling of the bushes doesn't seem to help conceal my presence; instead it draws Nathan's curiosity to me.

"Who's in the bush?" Nathan doesn't wait for a reply, he walks forwards and peeks inside. I go to make a run for it, but I catch my foot on a plant and fall on my hands and knees. I don't like playing the silly Heroine who can't seem to put one foot in front of the other.

"What are you doing on the floor Sienna?"

"I'm just looking for an earring that I dropped while we were hiding form the paparazzi," I say as I pretend to pat the ground down for the missing piece of jewellery.

"Why are you talking in a fake British accent?" Nathan asks, and Alex laughs at the situation unfolding – typical bloody Alex.

"Because I'm practising my voice for when I meet One Direction? We are recording a song together and I want to sound British." That's probably the most unrealistic lie that has come out of my mouth, and in a British accent too.

"What's one of their songs?" they both ask.

I slowly get off the ground so that I can give my brain a chance to think. I brush the dirt off my knees and then look at them. Both boys have gleaming smirks plastered on their face. Both with their arms crossed over their chest which makes them look intimidating.

"There's way too many to name, I wouldn't know which one to pick." I smile.

"How about you sing one for us?" says Nathan.

Ugh, silly pancake boy, why are you making my life difficult? Is proving a point really worth it?

I look to Alex with hopeful eyes, I'm sure he could say something to change Nathan's direction of thoughts. But instead he stands there with his hands on hips and a humours look on his face. Well, thanks for your help.

"Hurry up, we're waiting," Alex eggs me on.

I want to bear my teeth and growl at the two, but I remember I'm a human being, not part animal or in the comfort of my own environment like at home where it might be deemed acceptable to do in front of Lucy or Hanna.

"This is like a remix –" I move my hair over my shoulder and begin praying that I can remember a line to their song in the next ten seconds.

"Okay." Nathan nods his head.

"That's what makes you beautiful," I sing quietly.

"Louder," urges Nathan.

"That's what makes you beautiful," I sing louder.

"Baby, you like up my world like nobody else –"

"Try it again with a happy smile," cuts in Alex.

"How about you sing the song then," I dare.

"I could sing it better than you any day." He smirks.

"That's it! I'm leaving." I push past the two and start walking further down the street in these toe breaking shoes. Sure, humiliate me, but don't you dare say someone is better than anyone else.

"Sienna," calls Alex, "where do you think you're going?" Alex runs catch up with me.

"Back to the hotel," I swiftly reply.

"All by yourself? What happens if a kidnapper comes?" he teases.

"It's okay, I'll be sure to direct them to you," I mutter back.

"Don't be like that." Frowns Alex.

I try to walk a little faster, but his choice of sensible shoes allows him to easily catch up with my slow speed.

"Just be angry with me from the comfort of your bed, it's almost your curfew time," he points out.

Why does Alex have to be so caring? Wait, scratch that, why does he need to be caring when it's convenient for himself? I want to be angry with him, but I can't. I really just can't.

"I'm coming, but I refuse to talk to you." I flick my hair over my shoulder and charge off in the direction of Nathan's car. I'm already going to be in trouble for skipping out on Mitch and Archer, I might as well be home on time.