CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR

Oddly enough, Saturday quickly approaches without warning. Mum and Hannah disappear to the food shop, while Dad has travelled away for a business meeting. He's frequently away from home because part of his job is speaking with other companies regarding legal services.

With my family out of the house, it just leaves Lucy and I conspiring in my bedroom alone. She lays across my bed, snuggled in with a pillow chattering about her date with Jackson. I peer into my wardrobe mirror poking and prodding my eyes with borrowed make-up from Hannah's collection.

"He tried to kiss me, but his breath stunk of chilli and cheese, so I pretended to cough. Do you think he's offended? I hope not," she says.

"Uh, I'm not really sure." I didn't know enough about him to question it.

"Should I try and kiss him? I might offer some mints beforehand."

"Just let the moment happen whenever it happens. If you really think he needs the mints, then offer him one."

"I'll try but I'm not very good at waiting." She sighs. "Speaking of waiting, are you almost done?"

"Almost there, I think." I grab a fluffy brush from the pot and begin blending the eyeshadow on my eyelid. The colours begin to blend, and it looks almost decent for me. You won't be able to see much of the makeup, but I thought I'd make more of an effort for this video.

Once I'm finished, I collect the makeup and return it to the bathroom. As I walk into the room, I catch the beaming smile on Lucy's face as she stares towards her phone.

"Is everything okay?" I ask.

She slowly sits up and discards the pillow she'd been cuddling.

"Jackson wants to meet up for lunch. Would you be okay if I left?" she questions.

I don't want to sound too excited, so I take a deep breath and then slowly nod.

"Sure, I hope you two have fun!"

"Really? You are the best!"

Lucy springs up from the bed and races towards me. I brace myself for the tight hug and squealing that quickly follows in pursuit.

Once my bones are squished to the point of almost breaking, she releases my body and whirls around the room collecting her belongings. Lucy slips on her ballet flats, scoops her bag from the desk and takes a moment to view herself in the mirror.

She combs her fingers through the ends of her hair, then turns to look at me. With a look of determination, she marches towards me.

Lucy places her hands on my shoulders and deeply gazes my eyes.

"Don't forget how amazing you are! You can overcome whatever is in front of you, you just need to want it bad enough." She gently hugs me before leaving the room.