[Chapter Thirty Nine]

Chapter Thirty Nine

As I pull off another tight body figure hugging dress, I toss up what's worse. Spending the day shopping with Hannah or in the rehearsal practice space with Alex. Both involve mass amounts of yelling from the opposite party and feeling tired and deflated.

Running my fingers through my hair, I flick it over my shoulder as I redress in my original clothing. I flick the lock open for the change room and it creeks as I open it. I can see Lucy's tired body lying across the black leather sofa chair in front of me.

"Is that all you're buying?" Lucy asks.

There's a few items hanging on the change room door. Those are the outfits Hannah's picked out because she loves them and wants me to wear them as Sienna. I've spent that last two hours trying on sparkly clothes that make me look like the next children's pop star. I want to look like a sophisticated artist with real songs.

"I don't know if I want to buy anything, but I'm certainly not allowed to buy the clothing on the floor." I laugh.

"I like the purple dress, if that's any help.

"I think it would look nice." I pick the dress up and throw it at her, "try it on," I insist.

"And you have to try one this one." Lucy picks up a black dress laying near her feet.

"Sure, why not? One more dress isn't going to kill me." I take the dress from the hall and return to my dressing room.

When I emerge from the change room, I catch Lucy standing in front of the mirror checking herself out.

She looks over her should and says, "Do you think David would be jealous of this dress?"

"I guess? Why would you want to make him jealous?" I shoot her a puzzled look.

She shrugs her shoulders, "No reason, just thought it would amuse me until you get back," Lucy explains. I'm sure there's more to it than that, they were together for a while.

"That purple dress looks incredible on you. It highlights your curvaceous figure and makes your skin look a shade tanner. Besides, you seem to rock the sequin look." I smile. Lucy wiggles her butt back and forth.

"You look amazing yourself," she compliments. I feel a blush rise up into my cheeks and I come to stand in front of the mirror with her.

The plain black fabric clings to my body like a second skin. It's a one shoulder dress that covers the skin just above my knees – a little daring, but still conservative. As I move in the dress, I feel restricted but the feeling of the thick soft fabric against my skin is amazing.

"You need to buy that dress," Lucy says, her eyes never leaving the reflection of me in the mirror. Unlike her usual soft playful facial features, her face is hard and serious. It sends a shiver down my spine – a good kind, the type that moves you into buying a dress.

"I'm buying this." I nod my head. Besides Lucy's compliment, I just feel so confident in this dress – I really need to stop letting pieces of fabric dictate how I feel about myself, and rather scrape up the bare courage to feel confident.

"Good, because I wouldn't let you leave the store without that dress!" she explains. "I'll barricade the front door and start a protest until you buy it."

"I hear you, I hear you."

"Just letting you know what's going to happen." She winks. "Now, let's shake a leg and get moving!"

"I just need to sort through that pile of clothing before we can." I chuckle.

"I'll help you decide if you like." I nod my head and we walk back inside the change room. Lucy makes sorting through the clothes easy – she picks up everything that has a sprinkle of glitter on it and throws it out of the change room until all we are left with are plastic coat hangers and an ample amount of clothes.