Chapter 20 - Eyes & Spies

I haven't seen my dad in almost two years.

So you can imagine what kind of things went through my mind as my eyes set upon someone I hadn't seen since freshman year.

It was the first day back to school from Christmas vacation and I couldn't wait to escape the tense atmosphere which lingered in the air of the house.

Diego and I's actions were very different on the day he returned. He ran up to dad, pouncing on him and hugging the life out of him as my father did the same.

When my father looked to me opening up one arm as if to keep as save a space for me within his grasp, my breathing pattern speed increased, my breaths coming our faster and heavier, it was so surreal that it was hard to really put things into perspective.

The last time I had seen my dad was in the car crash.

Instead of being overwhelmed with joy my mood plummeted to rock bottom, possibly lower than that. The happiness I felt only a few minutes before had completely subsided and instead heat, anger and disappointment took it's place.

After all this time not once had he come to see us. After the car crash and my re-habilitation started he wasn't there for me once because he was at his stupid job.

Back then I was younger so I didn't realize that my dad really had to work and travel around the world meaning that we got less time together, it was his job and he had a duty to it, but it didn't mean he couldn't once visit me in hospital or come see if I was doing alright.

Tearing my watery eyes away from him I shot up the stairs, so quickly that even Usain Bolt would have asked how I ran so fast.

I spent the whole day sulking, only coming out of my bedroom to pee and eat Christmas dinner.

That was probably one of the most awkward dinners I had ever been to. Any question that was directed at me was just answered with the same thing

"How is school?" my dad asked

"Fine" I answered

"Are you liking your new team?"

"It's fine"

"Oh Theresa this food is delicious isn't it Cassie?"

"It's fine"

I think after a while they all caught on that I wouldn't engage in any kind of conversation and let me go back upstairs.

Currently I was at my locker trying to get the fact that my dad was at home out of my head but it was hard. I wanted to push away any thoughts about him from my mind and just go on with school until the end of the day, then go to dance practise and prolong it for as long as I possibly could.

When I heard a familiar clanking sound on my wrist I looked downwards.

The bracelet.

Everyday since Christmas I've wore this thing, it's almost like it had grown to be a part of me. I still haven't thanked Valentino for it because I wanted to do it in person and hadn't gotten to see him since Christmas Eve. But today was our second to last practise before the salsa competition so I'd thank him then.

However for now I just liked admiring his gift. So far I knew what three of them were about. One of the charms was in the shape of a snowflake obviously that was to do with Christmas Eve, another was the letter V and of course the initial and his first name and the other was of a sombrero to do with the fact that I was Latino. Albeit the other charms were a mystery.

I think that that was the plan, for me to figure out what the other ones meant.

"Valentino, I love what you've done with your head" a feminine voice squealed causing me to turn around