Day 56

Sept. 20th, 2013

Three more days until Riley's birthday. Although I'm not exactly sure what her present will be.

I sit in the living room, playing chess with Nate. We're both really quiet as we study the next player's move.

Suddenly Riley jumps out from behind me and tackles me, pushing me onto the board game, knocking it over.

"Gahhh!" I scream, rolling over and over.

"Three more days! Three more days!! THREE MORE DAYS!!!!!" She nearly screams in my ear.

I throw her arms off of me and sigh. "You're a handful when you want to be." I laugh.

"I'm gonna be ten!!" Riley gasps.

"Really? I don't think you made it that obvious." Big Nate says sarcastically as he walks into the room staring at the chess pieces spilled all over the floor.

Izzy suddenly walks into the room, rabbit slung over her shoulder. Her dad follows, carrying three rabbits.

"Goodness, we're gone for ten minutes and this is what happens." Izzy laughs.

Her father sets the rabbits on the counter and helps me clean up the mess.

Around night fall, I have a short amount of sleep before I wake up to the sound of claws scraping against the door. Then bang.

Izzy's father sits at the door with his blow gun, reloading.

"How many times do you have to do this?" I ask quietly.

"I used to do it all night, but now, only three times a day. These dead people are disappearing strangely. Who knows whats happened." He says, firing again at another zombie through the hole.

So, the zombies really were disappearing. Rotting away to dust.

~Juliana