47

Rio had made it to the remodeled Salvatore estate. He knew that he'd probably come back one day, and he knew his mother wouldn't be able to get in. That could be punishment enough for her. Seeing the house she once called home, but unable to enter. Anya had spelled it before they'd left town- it wouldn't be able to be destroyed no matter what. He'd just texted Anya for a ride, when there was a knock at the door. He expected it to be Damon, but was unpleasantly surprised by Elena.
"What do you want?" He asked.
"This place-" She looked around. "It looks exactly like the prison world. Stefan showed me the ruins. How-?"
"You live in a world of magic, Elena. Don't forget."
"Right. Listen, Rio. I've been thinking about what you said, and you're right. I haven't given you a reason to like me. I loved Stefan, he was good and safe. He gave me something to hold onto when I needed it. He was the love of my life but I changed. I will always love Stefan, but I love Damon more. Damon makes me feel so alive, even as a vampire. He's protective and annoying sure, but that's what I love about him. He was there for me when Stefan wasn't. I love him more than anything."
"Good for you." Rio said, his tone flat.
"And yes, your brothers put their lives in danger to save me. But that was their choice. I would rather die than let them get hurt."
"You say that, Elena, but actions speak louder than words."
"And going after Klaus, trying to kill him and his entire family was a dick move."
"If you and my brothers weren't going to die because of it, then you'd still be trying to kill him. Like you killed Kol, without a regard for all the vampires that died in the process."
"He was going to kill my brother."
"You had enough time to stake him with white oak. You could have used normal wood. You had the white oak stake because you planned to kill him anyways, Elena."
"I'm sorry. Okay? I don't want you to hate me."
"Then stop making dick moves. I see you and all I see is someone who has caused so much pain."
"Your best friend is a man who has literally been killing for a millenium."
"And yet I still see more good in him than I do in you." Rio told her.
"How?"
"Because Klaus didn't choose to become this way. His father murdered him and his mother subjected him to immortality. He killed a human because he felt bloodlust and was blamed for his mother's indiscretions. His mother took a part of him away, Elena- do you know what that feels like? Someone taking away half of who you are? And then his father hunted him and his siblings for centuries. And yet Klaus still has redeeming qualities."
"Like what?"
"No offence, but it's not up to me to tell you all about him. He wants to be feared because it's the closest to love he thinks he can get. But you wiped a whole sire line, two actually because you killed Finn too, just because you wanted to kill Klaus. You were willing to let Elijah die, even though he'd helped you out before to kill Klaus. Sure your parents died, but you knew they loved you. You knew they cared about you- they didn't try to kill you. His mother came back from being dead and then tried to kill him. Sure you've been through things, but even through all of that, you had people who loved you. You have Jeremy, and as much as I don't like it, you have my brothers. You have Caroline and Bonnie. You have Matt, and-" Rio sneered as he said "Tyler."
"Klaus has his siblings- Elijah who's usually good. He has you, and he had Charlotte."
"No offence but Elijah and Rebekah have both plotted to kill him. Klaus has them, but sometimes he doesn't. And yeah, he has me, but I've only known him for the past century and half. He's had centuries worth of damage from before I came in. I can't magically change him, though he is changing. And Charlotte's dead. She doesn't count anymore."
"You had a bad relationship with your mother. You didn't turn out like Klaus." She pointed out.
"Klaus says having a shitty childhood makes you an angel or a devil." Rio chuckled. "But, I had a good relationship with my father and my brothers. I lived a good life when I was human without my mother. And I had the love of my life."
"I'm sorry-"
"Listen, Elena. I just want to go home now. To you and my brothers, Mystic Falls is your home. Not mine at all. Maybe I would have stayed but now that Lily's staying, there's no way I'm bringing my family here." Rio said. "So I'd really like it if you left so that I could leave."
"You said Mystic Falls isn't your home, but why did you come visit here before you left?"
"This is how I'm leaving." Rio sighed. "This way's quicker. Anya's going to come and take me home."
"Oh." Elena sighed. "Is this place in her name?"
"Does it matter?"
"Aren't you going to invite Stefan and Damon in?"
"They've already been invited in."
"Who else?"
"No one else, Elena. I'm not having my mother invited in, nor you."
"Caroline?"
"Why would she care about a house in the middle of the woods?" There was a crash upstairs. "Damn it. Goodbye Elena."
"Wait-" Elena tried but Rio had closed the door on her and rushed upstairs.
"Sorry, I'm late." Anya said. "Rhea vomited on me and I had to get changed."
"Is she okay? Does she have a fever?"
"You really are a great mother." Anya laughed and Rio nudged her. "Don't worry, she's fine. We made her laugh too hard, is all. Right after we fed her."
"So she's fine?"
"Yes?"
"And you've cleaned up?"
"As you can see." Anya gestured at herself.
"I'm talking about Rhea and the house." Rio rolled his eyes.
"Yeah, we have." Anya smiled. "Come on. Let's go home, and you can see for yourself."