44

Rio stood outside the boarding house and waited for the two to come back outside. But when they took too long he couldn't help listen in.
"Maybe Rio's right. This woman abandoned my brothers and I, when she apparently died of congestion in 1958. She never came back."
"She's the woman who gave birth to the two most amazing men I know. She can't possibly be all bad."
"She went on a killing spree. Killed over three thousand people."
"And how many people have you killed, or Stefan- wasn't Stefan deemed Ripper of Monterrey? And Rio seems to think that even Klaus can be redeemed. How many people has he killed? There might be some good left in her, Damon. I would do anything to be able to see my own mother, and you have that chance to see your own."
"Difference is, your mother wasn't a murderer."
"I'd do anything to see Isobel too."
"Isobel, who did try to protect you sometimes."
"I'm just saying give her a chance. We've already come all this way."
"You're right." Damon said. Rio scoffed and rolled his eyes. Well, now he knew who wore the pants in that relationship.
"And we're doing this for Stefan, Damon."
"Rio is right, you know. He can save Stefan."
"He's been gone a lot, Damon. Are you really willing to take the chance that Stefan might or might not come back?"
"You're right," Damon said again and the two walked out to Rio. Rio stared at Elena, brow raised. He just shook his head, and glared at her. "So, you've been here before, where is she?"
"You can figure that out yourself." Rio said, his upper lip curling in disgust.
"That's how you're going to play it? Where did you even go from the last time?"
"Portland. That's where the gemini coven live and that's where we were when Joseph taught Anya the spell."
"You know he's dead, right?"
"I assumed, once I figured out that other siphoner did the merge."
"Oh. So how comes you know so much about it?"
"Well, he helped out Anya a bit, he taught her a few spells, she taught him some stuff. They had an agreement."
"What could Anya possibly teach the head of an old and pretty powerful witch coven?"
"She's pretty awesome, Damon."
"How powerful is she?"
"The most powerful person you've ever met."
"So there's someone more powerful? Who?"
"I don't think she'd want you to know."
"Why are the most powerful witches females?"
"Because females are more in tune with nature."
"Where's mom?"
"Like I'm going to tell you."
"Can you please point us to the direction?"
"Hmm, nah. I'm hoping you don't find her and you give up."
"Fine, I'll figure it out myself. Okay, where would she go? Where would mother go? She's in America. She's been ambushed. Boarding house didn't exist yet. She's trapped. Maybe someplace familiar. Someplace she knows, right? Yeah, that's it. Home- she'd go home." Rio didn't react.
"That's great Damon. Do you know the way?"
"Yes, I do."
"We're bringing her home, Rio."
"Any blood she spills, Elena, is on your hands." Rio said to Elena, anger evident in his tone.
"Leave her alone, brother." Damon said putting her behind him.
"I'm not going to attack her, but it's the truth. Every person Lily kills, every soul she destroys, all the blood she spills it's all going to be on your hands Elena."
"No, it's not." Damon stuck up for her.
"You think I didn't hear her convince you to bring her back to the land of the living? That I didn't hear you not on her side. Don't get me wrong, you're the one agreeing to all it, and it's partially going to be your fault, but Elena's the backbone, the brains. You're merely her brawn and pawn, brother." Rio spat the last word mockingly. Damon pushed past his brother and pulled Elena with him, walking ahead. Rio rolled his eyes and walked behind them. But Elena stopped and whirled around.
"You know what, Rio? You have always been a dick to me. I get it, I have the same face as the first person you've ever hated. So what? Have you even tried to see me for who I really am? All you ever do is judge me. You were supposed to be the nice guy. Caroline likes you, hell even Bonnie likes you, and she's never liked a Salvatore straight away. So why haven't you ever given me a chance to prove myself?"
"You think I judge you because you look like Katherine? Newsflash, I don't care that you look like Katherine or Tatia or Amara. You dated my brother, broke his heart, slept with his brother, despite the fact that you once vowed never to choose Damon over him and continuously put yourself and my brothers in dangerous situations. You're supposed the most compassionate, except you'd kill one man in order to get rid of a whole family. And then, knowing that thousands- millions would die, you killed Kol. I don't see compassion. Katherine lost everything- her baby was ripped from her arms, her family murdered because she ran from the wrong person, I can understand why she turned into a bitter bitch- it's all she did to protect herself. What I don't understand is you. You had a great family, you still have family left, but somehow you still managed to turn into one hell of a bitch. That's why I dislike you. I'm not going to instantly like you because a lot of people do, I judge people by their own merits, Elena, and I haven't see something about you that I like." Rio finished. And this time Rio pushed between the two. "You want to let an evil, raging bitch into the world- fine. Come see who you're trying to save. Let me show you what it is you're freeing."